Tuesday, July 5, 2016

The Haves and the Have Nots: Giving Candy to a Baby (4x14)


Warning: This contains spoilers for the newest episode of of The Haves and the Have Nots. If you haven't seen it, go watch it and eat that last piece of chicken. If you have...why are you still reading this? Review after the jump!

Did that actually just happen? I'm actually super confused right now and my feelings are everywhere because I don't know who to believe or what to believe. Let's just break it down.

Jennifer (D.A. Herpes) is out here bawling because 1) Wyatt's "death" is essentially her fault and 2) she knows Katheryn is about to have her ass "murdered in the street". Honestly, who could blame her? If Jennifer had just put this tired ass vendetta against the Cryer's to bed we would have gotten a few amazing things out of it. One, she wouldn't be on the show wasting all this screen time. Two, ...the first thing. I like the actress and everything but the character got old the episode after she was introduced and it was a chore to watch her sit there and try and destroy the Cryer's while much more interesting things were happening around her. But, yeah, I guess Wyatt's dead? I don't know, I was still expecting them to turn him over and have it be someone else. He really died in the worst way possible with no dignity, and alone. I guess you can take that as metaphorically as you want but it was really sad to watch Wyatt's downward spiral when he genuinely had a lot of support and a lot of people who cared for him. By the way, I know I keep using the same photo but they keep poor Aaron O'Connell (Wyatt) in that position every episode so why not?

Hanna walked her ass on over to Candace's house (while Benny followed her in his car the whole time, which was hilarious, him making her walk) but when Benny gets out of the car to confront her, old white nosey and crinkly makes a reappearance. She sees a black man (Benny) trying to speak to a woman, assumes the worst and comes running out of her cat box to see if everything is okay. Benny tells her to get the hell back inside but for some reason Hanna takes Pearl's (that's her name...) side and Benny goes off to stand in the corner. She basically tells Hanna her kids are trash, without knowing they're her kids, and she basically agrees. Before she runs off into her house she gives a description of a man that sounds an awful lot like Quincy and tells her that he went into Candace's house but never came out. The old buzzard runs off and Hanna confronts Candace. She asks where her son is and asks about Quincy. Candace deflects everything (doesn't really answer any of her questions) and they leave. Back at the house Hanna has no idea what's going on and Benny's forced to lie to her (AGAIN) because he obviously knows Quincy is dead and that Candace helped in killing him. Ooh, drama. It's not like this plot isn't interesting but a lot of my issues have to do with the writing, pacing and placement of the scenes. It's kind of tiring just to watch Hanna and Benny go back and forth, again, with dialogue like "Move that truck" "Don't go over there" (which they repeated bout three times). Also Benny calls Candace because he's scared Hanna will find out about the body. That also happened.

David apologizes to Jim, okay, and they're "frenemies" now. I don't know why I laughed so hard when David said "frenemies". He just has such an old school way of speaking that hearing him say that term, which was probably coined 5 years ago, was hilarious. Also, Landon and Jeffrey had a scene that really didn't mean much to the plot. Landon starts packing after he finds out Maggie is dead because it took him this long to realize that these niggas weren't playing when they said they said everyone in this town is insane.


I think the two scenes that juxtaposed each other so vigorously were the final two scenes that played back to back. The first one had to do with Benny and Veronica. The dialogue made me want to puke and I cringed watching Benny pull out his dick for Veronica to just laugh at. Speaking of cringing, I almost choked on my water when Veronica started moaning to show Benny that she had apparently been faking all her orgasms with him. But it didn't look too fake when he had her on that damn desk at the shop and both her eyes went in different directions, but I guess I'll take her word for it? Hanna caught them and I would have much preferred her to stay. As entertaining as watching her fake an orgasm is, I would much prefer to see her and Hanna go head to head again. Hell, I wanna see her go head to head with somebody she can call a dumb bitch. The part that had me hollering was when Veronica went off on him, going on the way he talks, calling him a boy, she read Benny like he was the Sunday newspaper and I lived for every second of it. The Haves and the Have Nots is one of the best sitcoms on TV when it tries. All this scene was missing was Benny throwing a wig at Ronnie.

Katheryn gets a call in the middle of the night but can tell that it's probably about Wyatt, so she calls Hanna and Hanna zooms over with the police. When they make it inside, Katheryn is on the stairs in tears because she knows what she's about to hear but she doesn't want to hear it. When the detective confirms that Wyatt is dead, she falls to the grown screaming. For once I'm glad the show is edited so horribly because my heart was already breaking for Katheryn but if I had to hear her actually scream and see her crying down there my heart would have ripped out for her. Losing one child was one thing, but to losing two is something no parent even thinks about going through. After she is done grieving, Katheryn is going to find the D.A. and go off on that ass. I can't wait.

EPISODE GRADE: B
I know it seems I'm giving every episode a B but this season just has so much potential and is being executed so lazily. I can honestly say that this episode was balanced with excellences (the final scene) and dreadfulness (the scene right before). But really, Tyler? That's how where the direction of the season is going? Both kids dead? Wyatt could have done so much better for himself this wasn't necessary. Renee Lawless (Katheryn) is about to act her ass off these next couple of weeks, that's all I know and I'm ready.
-Pearl's character is such a waste of space. I get that she's there to cause conflict but she's not even entertaining.
-Pearl has all that tea to spill but she doesn't know her son is gay. Okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...