Saturday, June 11, 2016

MUSIC REVIEW: Fifth Harmony "7/27"

Everything down below are my personal opinions. I'm in no way affiliated with any corporation, especially Fifth Harmony or Syco Music/Epic Records.

I have absolutely no business loving these girls as much as I do but I have to say over the past year I've developed into a Fifth Harmony fan. I'm not the type of fan that was tug at their wrist and pull them in the car with me, nor will I go out of my way to listen to their latest single. But when I'm feeling the Harmonizer spirit, I'll pull the album up on Apple Music and give them an hour because they're "Worth It". ;)

01. THAT'S MY GIRL
I started bopping the minute I heard the saxophone. If there's one thing that will get me dancing it's a good saxophone melody and the harmony during the chorus was awesome. It was a really lively start to the album and what I expected from them because they honestly give me fun summer vibes whenever I hear them. 8.5/10

02. WORK FROM HOME (Feat. Ty Dolla $ign)
I love this song for the production. I think it's really well crafted and incredibly catchy. I'm not saying I'm a song analyst, but I do listen to the lyrics of songs when I am listening to a song which is why I laugh whenever the song pops up. Basically, they're saying to their men: don't work at a 9 to 5, stay home all day and work on this pussy. Girl, that's great, do you. Foreplay all the way. Like I said, the song really comes through in regards to the production for me. 9/10

03. THE LIFE
Instantly a song you can't really get out of your head. It's more of an anthem than just a song. The production is pitch perfect, just like the vocals.  9/10

04. WRITE ON ME
This song proves that less is more. It was a bit more simplified than a lot of the bigger, splashier songs and that worked in it's favor. It was intimate while still having some big vocal moments (mostly from Camilla, I believe?). 9/10

05. I LIED
On the right night with the right amount of drinks, this song will go off in the club. Not only is it big and very easy to dance to, it's metaphor for love is heartwarming. 8/10

06. ALL IN MY HEAD (FLEX) (Feat. Fetty Wap)
Don't know why I have such a thing for Reggae fusion/reggae undertones but I do. I think the song was really well put together and I loved the transition from regular pop back to the reggae fusion during the pre-chorus. 7.5/10

07. SQUEEZE
The musical break in this song is everything I mean when I say that Fifth Harmony has some of the best production in the business and they can make anything sound like a powerful anthem. 8/10


08. GONNA GET BETTER
This is so basic of me to say but there's a real Destiny's Child vibe I feel off of this song. If you listen closely the production is very reminiscent of late 90s/early 2000s R&B tracks. 7/10

09. SCARED OF HAPPY
A very dance-y, upbeat track. I honestly got my life during the dubstep musical break but maybe that was just me.. 7.5/10

10. NOT MY KINDA GIRL (Feat. Missy Elliot)
Is it just me or does the instrumental sound like it was produced for Michael Jackson's Dangerous album? Other than that, girl, a song with Missy Elliot can do no wrong. 9/10

11. DOPE
A very nice, chill track to play for your significant other. It's the best of both worlds: "You're pretty fucking dope" and "I know I'm the shit". Self confidence and telling your man/girl they're dope. 8/10

12. NO WAY
I think this is the closest to an acoustic song they have on the album. It embraces imperfection and is a great way to close off the album. 8.5/10

ALBUM GRADE: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...