Monday, April 18, 2016

The Voice 10: Top 12 Report Card

Disclaimer: All these opinions are clearly subjective and I am in no way affiliated with The Voice or any other corporation.


Last season I was getting the blog up and going so this time around I'm trying out a new format. Instead of using numbers, I'll be using letter grade for the performance "report cards" at the bottom of the post. The report card is basically a ranking of all the contestants who performed tonight. Anyways, on with the show!

Am I the only person who wonders if Pharrell just takes a nap when a contestant performs? Because he literally just says "this is why you're here!" "You are an artist!" "Congratulations!" I mean, it's not like any of these judges give criticism or anything (completely unheard of on singing shows, of course...) but Pharrell just eats a cheese stick and says what he's been thinking throughout the day. On with the review of the performances:

MARY SARAH (TEAM BLAKE)
"So Small"
I thought her high notes came off a little bit shrill but other than that it was my favorite performance of hers so far. She seemed to have a really strong connection to the material. C


LAITH AL-SAADI (TEAM ADAM)
"Born Under a Bad Sign"
There's just something about his voice that always keeps me intrigued. There is this relaxed groove about him that contrasts with the fact that he looks like Santa Clause after he got talked into a dye job at the salon while Mrs. Clause was getting her hair blow dried. B


DANIEL PASSINO (TEAM PHARRELL)
"Human Nature"
Damn Daniel! I have to admit, that opening shot of him with the shooting stars behind him was gorgeous. Also gorgeous? His voice. The second half that relied solely on his falsetto was beautiful, his last little run was a bit covered up by the music but from what I could here it was amazing and controlled. Although the musical beats where he pops and locks, or whatever, are a bit cheesy I have to admit that I enjoyed that as well. He looks at home on that stage, he looked so comfortable. It got me excited to see what his concert would be like and that's the way we should be feeling when we watch The Voice, right? B+


EMILY KEENER (TEAM PHARRELL)
"Lilac Wine"
I mean, this is as close as we're getting to Madi Davis this season so I'm just going to sit back and enjoy this Lilac Wine from this Lilac flower. Something about this performance had me  from the beginning. Whenever she hit a high note it felt as if I was listening to a siren, I was so moved. She has this ability to take a song and turn something beautiful into something absolutely magical. What a gorgeous, sublime vocal. A-


NICK HAGELIN (TEAM CHRISTINA)
"Mine Would Be You"
I don't know what it is about his voice, but I don't really like his tone. He just always sounds so out of breath. With that being said (and not listening to the original song), it was a beautiful arrangement. I wish he stayed at the piano to keep it a little more intimate considering that intimate was probably the feel he was going for. Although I'm not a fan of his voice, it was a pretty good performance with a very, very nice finish. B-


ADAM WAKEFIELD (TEAM BLAKE)
"Soulshine"
I think this encompassed everything we love about Adam. He got to showcase his incredibly versatile soulful-bluesy-country voice over the perfect record because that organ/grit/soul made me feel like flying. A-

BRYAN BAUTISTA (TEAM CHRISTINA)
"Kiss From a Rose"
It's definitely not Bryan's fault he had to be saved, he's just on a really, really talented team. That being said, I felt this performance was a little cheesy. Aside from the first few shaky notes, it was a pretty perfect vocal (especially that gorgeous final phrase) with emotions. I couldn't tell if those emotions were real or manufactured/forced but, hey, he tried (it). B+

OWEN DANOFF (TEAM ADAM)
"7 Years"
While I think this was a predictable song choice on Owen's part, I can't blame him because that's just what his voice sounds good singing. The vocal was just fine, I just felt emotionally disconnected from him. It sounded like he was more focused on getting the notes to sound perfect (which he did a fine job of doing) but it wasn't until that last phrase/note that I felt something genuine out of him. IT was really nice seeing him trying to get out of his shell because he, along with a few others, could have a really impressive growth arc. B-


ALISAN PORTER (TEAM CHRISTINA)
"Stone Cold"
Oh, Stone Cold? We're going there, Alisan? So we're just going to yank wigs off at 9:24 pm? Alisan, Shalyah and Hannah are the best singers this season (in my opinion) but Alisan has a major edge over the other two. Her vocals can get messy, yes, and we love that but she has control voice (where the other two arguably lack). That's what made this performance so thrilling. She hit all the emotional cues that the song demanded (you need to be pleading and losing your mind with this song, which she was), she hit all the notes absolutely perfectly, she went bat shit and effortlessly restrained in parts...it was a masterclass. A


PAXTON INGRAM (TEAM BLAKE)
"Hands to Myself"
I don't know what it is about Paxton, he's got such a way of making you feel everything he sings. He's like a jack in the box full of entertainment. I didn't think for a second he'd stay on that platform because he's just a burst of energy no matter what he tries to do. I also live for the way he pronounces his words and the way he phrases. Alisan was a vocal master class, Paxton's performance was a performing/entertainment masterclass. B+


HANNAH HUSTON (TEAM PHARRELL)
"Something's Got a Hold On Me"
I was ready to write home girl off as a front runner after last week but then she growled through that intro like a boss. The song was perfect for her voice because it allowed her to play around and go a bit more wild with it and I think that's where she shines the best. She definitely shined tonight. A-

SHALYAH FEARING (TEAM ADAM)
"Up to the Mountain"
Damn Shalyah, back at it again with wicked notes. I think Shalyah is an amazing singer. Her voice isn't perfect but that growl, mixed in with the feeling you get when she's singing makes it feel as if there is emotion just seeping out of her soul. She sang the crap out of the song but there was true feeling behind it. B+

REPORT CARD:
12. Mary Sarah C
11. Owen Danoff  B-
10. Nick Hagelin B-
09. Laith Al-Saadi B
08. Paxton Ingram B+
07. Bryan Bautista B+
06. Daniel Passino B+-
05. Shalyah Fearing B+
04. Adam Wakefield A-
03. Emily Keener A-
02. Hannah Huston A-
01. Alison Porter A-

Reviewing The Voice is a much different experience than reviewing American Idol or X Factor. Both said shows have their fair share of singers who can sing their ass off, and their fair share of people who make you wonder how they even made it past the producer's round. The Voice doesn't rely on gimmicks, it relies on talent. That's why someone like Mary Sarah, who had her best performance for me, can end up at the bottom of the list. This by no means is inferring that she was bad, there are just so many good people on The Voice every season that it makes it a much tougher show to critique (I'm up for the challenge, of course!).


PREDICTIONS:
BOTTOM TWO: Paxton & Owen/Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...