Saturday, March 12, 2016

SONG REVIEW: K. Michelle "Not A Little Bit"

 A review of the lead single off of K. Michelle's upcoming album "More Issues Than Vogue", which drops March 25!


Girl.
Let's just start with a simple question: What do you think of when I say the name: K. Michelle? Me, personally? I think of a candle in the wind: AKA when she threw several candles at Rasheeda on Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta. I'll be honest, personality wise, I didn't see it for K. Michelle. She was perfect for reality television, not getting along with anybody but Joseline Hernandez for more than a week but then she decided she wanted to turn a new leaf and still fought with someone week after week over petty things. Back in the day, you could have a fucked up weave yourself and K. Michelle would make it her mission to let you know that she will cut you into a sandwich meat. All of that is redundant right now because we're talking about her music. K. Michelle has one of the best natural singing voices out there right now. I know we have the Kehlani's and the Tinashe's out there right now but when I think of the survival of true R&B music, two names come to mind: Tamar Braxton and K. Michelle

"Not A Little Bit" is the perfect example when I say that this is true, pure, classic R&B. This song took me back to the early 2000s. If K. Michelle came out ten years ago, when this style of music dominated the charts and reality shows weren't about who could get into the most fights per episode, she'd be a legend by now. There's no doubt in my mind about that.

What impresses me so much about the song is how much it does with a simple beat and a simple chorus. The song starts off with a gorgeous piano melody that leads into the first verse. I don't even have to go in to how beautiful this song is lyrically, the chorus says it all, "Think I need you? Not a little bit." And her voice is souring on this track too. The second pre-chorus was strong , much like the bridge, which lead into a very powerful key change in the final chorus. This is the type of music that makes me feel something and as strange as it sounds to say this, K. Michelle got me feelin' some type of way. I can't wait to hear the rest of the album when it drops on March 25. "Support black businesses!"

SONG GRADE: A

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...