Sunday, March 13, 2016

SONG REVIEW: Nick Fradiani "Get You Home"


Nick Fradiani won the penultimate season of American Idol (Season 14). How was his new single? Here's a review of Nick Fradiani's "Get You Home" behind the jump!



I felt a little obligated to do this post. Number one, I wrote this song off because I willfully admit to not being a fan of Nick Fradiani during his run on American Idol (and I'm still not going to act like I paying attention to anyone but Clark and Joey). Number two, this song is actually pretty fire. When he performed it on American Idol, I was much harder on the song (probably because he was singing it live) because Frandiani, honestly, just does not sound anything close to good when he sings live. Which is fine because Fradiani moves around a lot when he's on stage so its understandable. In the studio version, its clear he doesn't use auto-tune so it does him a good service, proving he actually has a really nice voice.

"Get You Home" is very, very simple. I think that's one of it's strengths. It does a lot with a small instrumentation, starting off with guitar, and the bass and drums joining in during the pre-chorus. Its very reminiscent of an uptempo Ed Sheeran song. It's not breaking any new ground, it's nothing revolutionary, but it's a nice little beat with a smooth voice spitting out the lyrics with passion and fire. The sample of Young MC's "Bust A Move" was woven in effortlessly. The bridge was awesome, there were some Michael Jackson influences in Fradiani's vocal delivery (2:26). I just thought this song really worked.

This just might be a one and done type of deal or I might actually turn into a Nick Fradiani fan. I think Fradiani fit the model of the American Idol winner much better than Clark Beckham after listening to this song. Beckham is more clearly jazz/blue/singer-songwriter influences, whereas Fradiani's voice is straight up folk/pop which is what the show is more geared towards. I understand why Nick won.

SONG GRADE: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...