Monday, March 14, 2016

MUSIC REVIEW: Zayn "Singles from Mind of Mine"

Is Zayn headed in the right direction after splitting from One Direction last year? Reviews of singles off of Zayn's upcoming album "Mind of Mine," which drops March 25, after the jump!

I just started sort of listening to One Direction last year so I'll admit, before this body of work started to come out I had no idea what Zayn Malik sounded like. Apparently he was the strongest singer of the group so that's why there was all that fuss about him leaving last year? I don't know, all I remember is turning to one of my friends and shrugging because the Mexican one left 1D. He's actually not half bad if you get past the rabid 1D fan-base he still has leftover.


Let's get this out of the way, the production on "PILLOWTALK" is out of this world. Everything from the beat to the instrumentation to the background vocals. They don't disappoint at all. The chorus is absolutely epic and considering the chorus is about half of the song, most of the song sounds pretty epic. But lyrical content? I don't really know what the song is about, I wanna say that it's literally about being twenty years old and just having sex in bed all day even if you guys don't get along. Which would be the contrast of being in paradise and a war zone, but whatever. Malik's voice soars on this song, nailing a very, very difficult high octave. SONG GRADE: A-


Right off the bat "iT's YoU" sounds like something off of "The Life of Pablo" or just a track from a rapper's album (and that's a really good thing to me, just so you know)  with the organ. The whole song sounded like an R&B lullaby. Every time he went for a falsetto note, the song became wickedly gorgeously haunting (especially over that beat). The song is heavily produced, but it's probably the closest thing to an acoustic song from the album if his other releases are any indication (and by that I'm not including the acoustic version of "PILLOWTALK"). SONG GRADE: A-

I wasn't feeling "LIKE I WOULD" until it hit the chorus. The beat is ridiculously infectious, it reminds me of The Weeknd's strongest up tempo music. Once I got past the beginning, the whole song was basically the chorus so it stayed up beat and fun. It's probably not going to be my favorite on the album but it's a nice change from the other two songs/singles released on the album so far. SONG GRADE: B

PRE-ALBUM GRADE: B+
Hide your kids, hide your wives. Zayn's comin' for ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...