Monday, December 7, 2015

The Voice US: Top 9 Live Show (TEAM BLAKE)

 


BARRETT BABER
I have to admit how shocked I was when I heard Barrett was going to be doing not just "Ghost" by Ella Henderson...but do a pop song. He has been so in his country element this whole season I never thought I'd see the day where he did a song by a pop artist. Maybe he has already but I really don't know the songs he chooses because me and Barrett just seem to have very, very different tastes in music (because I'll Drive Your Truck?). In his clip package I was so thrilled to hear him say that while he was tripping it back a bit he was still keeping that funky goodness to it. The stripped back start to the performance was a great contrast as he began making his way through the stage, he seemed to look a little mad. Has he ever smiled during a performance or made eye contact with the camera? He seems to be in his own world for most of his performances. I was fine with it for the most performance because his voice fit his little arrangement of the song perfectly. In his lower register I couldn't hear him a lot of the time but he sounded fine for the most part and it was something different from him...which is different. Haha. (7.5/10)

ZACH SEABAUGH
LMAO, I literally left and went to pee when Carson said "Blake's teen heart-throb," like, okay. If you're reading this it's too late, please don't vote for Zach because you think he's an attractive white boy. We've had this happen four times on American Idol (I'm not counting the other 5 male winners because I don't know why Caleb or Lee won their respective seasons, Taylor Hicks was full of energy, Ruben was a teddy bear and David Cook actually deserved to win). Gwen, hush, you have a man. Miranda Lambert can attest to it. In all seriousness, I think Zach does deserve to be here because he has a really nice amount of charisma and he's actually not a bad singer. "The Climb," as cheesy as it is, gives him a chance to have a really nice moment on the show. Immediately as he started singing, his voice sounded like the absolute perfect fit for this song. I don't know what it was but something about his rendition felt so original, maybe it was just the fact that he took it down an octave to fit his vocal range. The stank faces were a bit distracting but I think they felt a little, like, earned. This might be the best vocal he's given on the show so far. It was simple and just relied on his talent and stage presence and it worked for the most part. It's also worth noting that at this point in the night I was really starting to get frustrated because everyone is giving very good performances so my head is spinning because how am I going to deal with all these eliminations? (7.5/10)

EMILY ANNE ROBERTS
I'm just going to preface this by saying, I really didn't want to care that much about this performance. I had typed out "I'm sorry, I can't do it. I probably won't write that much about Emily because I just don't have much to say about her. Okay, she's a fun little thing to have around and she has a cute voice. Me being, I'm not going to say against country music, but so biased towards other genres that I listen to on a regular basis, I can't get too into her. A lot of the time when I was reviewing Blake's team (his big ass Top 12) I wrote time after time "very generic." Just because a lot of country music rings together with me and Emily is in that category because I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between her and Danielle Bradberry. That was her name, right? I literally stopped tuning in after Sasha and Judith left." For what it's worth she does have a nice little voice on her and I was pretty pissed off because after I wrote this essay about how generic she was, I found myself bopping along to it. Mostly it's due to the song, so hey Dolly Parton! The beginning sounded like everything Emily's been doing before but the minute the song hit the chorus she showed a lot of sass and her voice was in top form, probably the best I've ever heard it. I definitely spoke way too soon because in my opinion at this point in the show, I think she had given the best performance of the night. She showed personality, her voice was fantastic and I loved the way how she successfully moved around the stage and livened up the crowd. The only thing that could have made the performance better was if she had completely took us to church during the last note. (8.5/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...