Monday, December 7, 2015

The Voice US: Top 9 Live Show (TEAM GWEN && PHARRELL)

 



JEFFERY AUSTIN
I have no idea why when I saw that Jeffery was doing "Believe" by Cher, I had no idea what song it was. It's a classic and for some reason I had absolutely no idea what he was singing but as soon as I physically heard him doing it in rehearsal I was so excited. The reason why I'm so excited isn't just because it's "Believe" but because of the fact that it was so different from what Jeffery usually does that I knew he was going to strip it back and turn into into something so emotionally raw and beautiful and did he ever. The visual at the beginning was crazy. There was almost no light on him so he looked like a shadow in front of that glowing doorway and he emerged like an angel and it was even more beautiful when two more doors kept opening and closing with the two "lovers" of the performance (at least that's what I took away). I'm so grateful to have been able to witness this version because it allowed for the perfect opportunity to actually listen to the meaningful lyrics that might get lost in the fact that the tune is so infectious that it makes you want to dance and not really just sit down and get in your feelings. The way Jefferey modernized it while paying homage to the classic it was, was beautiful. Have I talked about his vocals yet? There is so much grit in his voice that it would usually irritate me but for some reason his voice just blends so well with the ballads he tends to do. The difference between him and fellow balleeder (you know who I'm talking about it, don't make me say it) is the fact that you are actually able to really feel something from him and it's not the "same" thing ever week. It was so beautiful. (8.5/10)

BRAIDEN SUNSHINE
At this point, Braiden knew that it was time to stop taking risks because why did he sing Radioactive last week? He knows the grandmas are the only reason he's still in the competition so why he thought that singing Radioactive would get everyone's meemaw's in their feelings and want to dial for him is beyond me. This week he's crying, which I'm not saying in any way shape or form is contrived to get votes, and singing "Amazing Grace," which you have to live under a box to not know this song and recognize it's one of the most beautiful songs ever written. Okay, so this is a song written before 1990 so obviously he sang it nearly pitch perfect so let's talk about other things. First off, his haircut looks great on him so I'm glad he doesn't have to go back and forth between that long permed hair and his little curls. I think the beginning of the song, while he sang it beautifully, he looked so emotionally disconnected from the song it was kind of weird to watch because here he was singing the hell out of the song but he was just starring into space as if one of the Scooby Doo villains were hypnotizing him into singing (beautifully). Be the time the song hit it's middle chorus, he was more connected, but in the mellow, more intimate, parts of the song is where he absolutely just loses me. I think it was really funny how every time he sang "I see" (except for the end) he opened his eyes really widely to show us that he could really "see" or something. I think he really killed it this week, his vocals were absolutely flawless. (8/10)

MADI DAVIS
Why does Carson sound like he's announcing at a talent show EVERY TIME he introduces the next contestant? Sorry, the way he introduced her just seemed so robotic. Ugh, I really wish Madi had made such an impression on me from the get go because I would have been able to appreciate everything else she had been able to do up until a few weeks ago. Madi is tied for the queen of the remastering of a song. The accordion at the beginning was the perfect touch as she played the guitar on what felt like the steps of a little shop in Italy. At first I was like...they did not bring a fountain into the studio, but it was just a screen behind the set. Speaking of the set, how the heck did they do this? My school wasn't able to get a set for our production of Hamlet up for like three months, we thought we were going to be performing on cardboard boxes, so the fact that they have all of these introcet ass sets that they push on and off in the matter of minutes is just so impressive. In the grand scheme of things until Madi reached the climax of the song, I thought it was very bland (a little quirky and cute, but bland). She was able to take the song somewhere but I think I was let down due to the fact that I expected so much out of her after being so impressed for the past two weeks of what she had been able to do with her songs. What really sold me was delivery of the performance, and like Pharrell said, the production was absolutely stunning (not just the music but the set, oh my goodness, Disney, yes). It was still a really good performance and one of the best of the night. (8/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...