Monday, November 16, 2015

The Voice US: Top 12 Live Show (TEAM ADAM)

Does anyone have an extinguisher? Because Adam's teams were on fire this week. I spoke WAY too soon when I wrote him off as a mentor when I reviewed his team last week. They were fun, they were fresh and they all delivered fantastic overall performances in addition to being vocally competent. Adam's team is the team to watch, y'all.


AMY VACHEEL (ADAM)
Let's talk about this brilliant song choice for Amy. I may not love Adam as a mentor, but he has some stellar ideas when it comes to arrangement. It worked out every time Tessanne rearranged a song and whenever Christina Grimmie would rearrange her songs. I wasn't sure what Amy would do this week, but I remembered she's on team Adam, where basically anything is possible. I never would have thought of this song so the moment the words came across the stage and I heard her in rehearsal I got excited. She looked absolutely gorgeous and the background's color absolutely did wonders for her dress. The directing of this performance also added to it's wonderful affect. My only problem with Amy is her limited range. She's the opposite of, say, Alessia Cara. Cara has a very unique voice but she can also hit all these crazy notes and her voice is so strong. Amy's voice is very petite and soft so she can't do a lot with a song. Given the material, she made some wise stylistic and octave choices and it paid off for her. Blake was absolutely right when he told her this was the classiest way to sing a booty call song. The performance was probably the most "original" performance on this season so far. 8.5/10


SHELBY BROWN
Freaking Shelby. She's such a good singer. I need her to not be afraid of screwing up because she will stay so far inside of her head that she will actually end up making a mistake and I can't have that happen because she's so talented and such a power in this competition. I've never seen her this vulnerable before at it came as an extra big shock because she's always so powerful on stage. The minute after she stopped crying and she kept on soaring higher and higher with that beautiful voice of hers, I knew she was going to be just fine tonight. She can't have her insecurities clouding her because when she has her confidence, she will TRULY be a force to be reckoned with. The song started a bit rough but as soon as she got into the chorus, she hit her stride. When she got back to the second verse, she had found comfort in the song and it made her transition back into the chorus absolutely wonderful. I laughed at when she held onto the person's hand from the audience and like wouldn't let go. Mama sang from her cervix tonight, that was absolutely gorgeous. The note that she held out kept going higher and higher like it was a plane and when she effortlessly switched into her head voice at the end, the performance ended up being magic. 8.5/10 


JORDAN SMITH
Well, heck, at least they didn't put him last tonight. When I didn't see him at 8:30, then 9, and still at 9:30 I was so scared they were going to oversell this guy and put him last again but they did the second most predictable thing and put Zach Seabaugh in the sweet spot of the night. I don't know how many times I'm going to get away with saying this before I start to sound like a pointless broken record (because I always end up singing his praises) but we can't go through every week of Jordan just belting out a ballad. I absolutely love ballads that are executed to perfection, what Jordan does, but how long are we going to be able to do this before it gets old? Ballad after ballad has proven to be a little boring but that all sort of went out the window when I heard he was doing a gospel hymn. I think we've reached the moment in the competition where we are starting to see what kind of artists these contestants want to be and if the balladeer is what Jordan wants to be, you can't argue because it's his choice, and his singing is absolutely breathtaking. I almost got tears (I don't cry, though) when I saw him tearing up. This song clearly meant so much to him and I couldn't wait to see if he was actually able to exhibit emotions this weak with such a "vulnerable" performance. The acapella at the beginning was absolutely fantastic. His voice gives me all kind of goosebumps. He is a natural born singer. He has such a beautiful tone and his subtle runs were beautiful. He has absolutely stunning vocal control. The way he holds back while still having such a grasp on a note is something to just praise. I didn't know he could play the piano. When he hit the bridge, his voice against the piano was just stellar to listen to. He belted with such conviction and his last note took my breath away. 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...