Thursday, April 28, 2016

#ThrowbackThursday: Haley Reinhart "Listen Up!"




Disclaimer: This is a review for Haley Reinhart's debut album "Listen Up!". All the thoughts expressed in this post are subjective and obviously very biased towards how I feel about it. I'm in no way affiliated with any company. Review after the jump!

Every Thursday (or most Thursdays) I will be reviewing an album that is a year + old because this is a new blog and I haven't had a chance to really share myself with you guys and I'd love to do that more and what better than sharing some of my musical taste? This week is Haley Reinhart: Listen Up! (2012).

We don't have to talk about Haley Reinhart being screwed over by American Idol, because what is American Idol? America just wasn't ready for this level of talent and musical genius and I'm okay with it because she has made a name for herself in jazz and Postmodern Jukebox, where you've like heard her absolutely SMASHING cover of Radiohead's "Creep". I'm not going to spend this entire review just pining over how perfect Haley Reinhart is (which she is) but I thought that it would be perfect to review her debut album on the eve of her sophomore album, "Better", dropping. (Which is shaping up to be phenomenal if this single has anything to do with it) Without further ado, here is a track-by-track review of "Listen Up!"

01. OH MY! (feat. B.o.B)
I can't think of a better opening for this album than this brassy, insanely fun jazz infused track. From the scats she dishes out to the grit of the trumpets in the background this song is pure seductive fun. 8/10

02. FREE
Arguably the most recognizable track on the album. It was the only single released and it's just a pure joy to listen to from beginning to end. The lyrics are incredibly moving as she sings about trying to break free of the bonds of a relationship that's weighing her down still keeping the lighter musical tone in line with the rest of the album (until the bridge where she comes to a realization of what she needs to do). Beautiful. 9.5/10

03. LIAR
One of the quieter songs on the album but lyrically just as gorgeous as everything else. It's about coming to grips with the reality of a situation and wishing your partner just lied to spare you all this heartache. Arguably it's a bit of an odd message "please keep lying to me to keep me happy!" but it's very relatable and I think it pairs perfectly with the track after it.  7/10

04. WASTED TEARS
I don't know what it is about this track but I've been obsessed with it since the album first came out. The message behind the song juxtaposes "Liar" but I think in a way they really intertwine. "You were lyin'...that's not love!" It's not possible to truly love someone if you are just lying to them the entire time. So I think that although Liar comes off as "please keep lying to me!" it's more of, thank you for respecting me (and loving me) enough not to lie. Here it's flat out saying you're a liar I can't stand you, go eat a bus! Haha. But everything about this song from the lyrics to the production to the background vocals to that absolutely chillingly gorgeous bridge is perfect. 9/10

05. UNDONE
This is, without a doubt, the standout track on the album. The content is still in line with everything but it's the only ballad on an album full of uptempo, empowering songs about moving on and being able to dance your way through the pain. Reinhart takes a turn and goes for the jugular with a moving ballad about honestly not being able to cope with not knowing where to go from here out and regretting letting someone get in her head like this. And to top that off she just sounds absolutely gorgeous, her vocals are in full force and we get a little bit of that perfect growl in the bridge. Moving, touching, beautiful. 9.5/10

06. NOW THAT YOU'RE HERE
"Undone" marked a turning point on the album. The first half is about heartbreak, the second half is about being uplifted by love (ending on the aptly named "Walking on Heaven"). I feel the same way about this song that I did about "Wasted Tears", I don't know what about it makes me love it so much but it's "everything I've been thirsty for". The tambourines and the bass in the production just make me want to get up on my feet and start dancing (which I do most of the time) and is just about new love and being consumed in love now that this person is here. 9/10

07. WONDERLAND
This song, man. First and foremost, does anybody else get a Christmas/Holidays vibe from this song? I just imagine if there was ever a music video for this song it would be Haley's beautiful self singing in the snow or making so angels or whatever else the queens are doing these days. Second, the production on this is absolutely phenomenal. The tambourines are back, the heavy drum set and my favorite thing in the world: a bari sax. And the motown vibe in the chorus? Why didn't this top the charts? I am seething. In terms of lyrics, it keeps up with the positive vibes from NTYH, with Haley insisting that "fairy tales do come true if you want them to." 8/10

08. KEEP COMING BACK
This is Haley's "Irreplaceable". I feel like this is the track we were all really for from Haley where she stood up in her Beyonce on a thrown having moved on from a guy who ain't shit and wondering why he still thinks he's even on the level to still get with her. Clearly he's messed up ("what's done is done, it's ancient history") and it "ain't no mystery" as to why she's here eating Red Lobster and he's begging for her to come back. Haley better go off with her bad self! And the production, shockingly, is over the top and a perfect throwback track (pairing wonderfully with "Wonderland". 7.5/10

09. HIT THE GROUND RUNNIN'
Lyrically, this is the spiritual successor to "Free". It was about breaking free from a lover and not really knowing where to go from here to make everybody happy but in the album's story, Haley has grown and has realized her worth. "I ain't your slave...baby don't hold your breath...this spirit's got to be free". Little lyrics like those remind you of how far she's come through the story telling of the album . 7.5/10

10. WALKING ON HEAVEN
I couldn't think of a more perfect closer to this album. Just the title alone. The journey of this album has come to a close and Haley has found the light at the end of the tunnel, which she dubs heaven. And when this girl takes us to church during the bridge, I almost screamed. It was absolutely a stunning end to a surprisingly very, very strong debut album that makes me so happy I have followed up with Haley from her Idol journey. 8.5/10

ALBUM GRADE: A-

I just love that Haley found her sound straight away. On Idol she was a bit of a genre jumper (and while I didn't mind that because she was finding herself) it seemed to irritate some people and to them I just say eat a bag of Skittles and stay mad because Haley came out of the gate swinging (or as she would say, she hit the ground runnin'). I absolutely cannot wait to hear her new album, make sure you get "Better" tomorrow and wear it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...