Tuesday, January 24, 2017

The Haves and the Have Nots: It's Ok to Love (5x03)


Disclaimer: Spoilers for this episode of Tyler Perry and OWN's The Haves and the Have Nots after the jump! If you haven't seen it, do not click any further (until you've seen it, then definitely read)! Thank you to the Oprah Winfrey Network for the pictures!

-CLICK HERE for more #HAHN reviews!

Do not, I repeat, do not sleep on Kathryn Cryer. You can say a lot about Kathryn finally turning the tables on Veronica and giving her everything she's been asking for since the first season but this is just pure television gold. Every step of her plan has been thought through and perfected and it's just pure joy to watch Veronica slowly going madder while Kathryn sits there with a smirk on her face when David isn't looking. Isn't it funny how karma will get you? David's been Veronica's personal bitch throughout the entire series and when he finally decides to buck up to her, she isn't guilty. There was a moment when Veronica puts together what she thinks is the truth and goes on a rant about how Kathryn and David are working against her that reminded what's still yanking me about Veronica. Her back story. She's been developed into the villain of the series, sure, but I want to get into why she is the way that she is. A lot of her antics have been over the top and entertaining but if she's just an evil crazy poisoning bitch just for the sake of having a bitch on the show, or if she's actual gone through some stuff remains to be seen. I believe Kathryn gave us a bit of information on Veronica in the season premiere but I'm sorry, I'm greedy and I want more! Aside from that, Kathryn and Veronica are still the highlights of this season! I'm sure it's only going to get more juicy when Jim comes home!

My my, how the eagle seems to fly. It looks like Ericka might have some use on this show after all. During a phone call with Candace, Ericka just has this smug, satisfied look on her face when Candace tells her about all of her problems. Why she's scheming against Candace (allegedly)? I have no idea. It does make sense that the mortgage paperwork wasn't valid if Ericka has been plotting against her this whole time but the reasoning behind that remains to be seen. Speaking of characters with no relevance, Oscar's still pressed like an easy button to get Candace in on some new scheme he's pulling and she sends him away (even though she makes it clear afterwards that she really needs the money). Also, Mitch got arrested and Benny's still crying over Candace and waiting on her like this isn't the 57th scheme she's pulled on him since last Tuesday.

Candace, Jeffrey and Justin go on a three way conference call, Candace is still being difficult and making things worse for herself. That's one thing I can't stand about Candace. The whole "it's all about my hustle, I can only trust myself" mentality has got to go. I get that she's been burned in the past but at this point, she has nothing left to lose and Justin is her ONLY hope at this point. Coming for him, threatening him and making jokes aren't going to make things any easier. Justin may make it WAY too easy to make jokes about him and his sexuality, but Candace honestly needed to find her chill. She ended up apologizing, and that was all cool and everything, but it lead to one of the stupidest scenes I've ever seen on television in my entire life. In order to distract everyone from going into the backyard where the body is, Justin pulls out a red colored expo marker and scribbles it on the hot tub and claims it's blood. I don't know what drugs this police department is on, but Big Bird would have slapped Justin in the back of his head for insulting his 2.3 IQ. The fact that the cops actually fell for it made my eyes roll back into hiding. I'm a very easy person to impress. This scene, however, was laughably tragic.

EPISODE GRADE: C+
Storyline grades:
(The Haves) Veronica/Kathryn/David: A
(The Have Nots) Benny/Mitch/Hanna: C+
(The dumb-asses) Candace/Jeffrey/Justin: D-
(The marks) Candace/Oscar/Ericka: C

Stray notes:
-David tripping over the dead body had me screaming.
-Those bullet holes and that stunt double they had for the DA had me SCREAMING.
-Did y'all see the way Candice looked when Ericka called? Even she doesn't care about Ericka  and David's storyline.
-We all know Justin got off on those dirty pictures of Jim!
-"I backed that bitch straight out the gate." "Here we go." Mitch is slowly creeping his way up to favorite character status these past two weeks!
-"Who's this?" Justin. You knew who was on the phone.
-As much as I come for Benny, I love what a loyal brother he is to Candace. It's endearing. Naive maybe, but it's endearing that he can still see the good in her!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...