Monday, May 16, 2016

The Voice 10: Top 8 Report Card (SEMI FINALS!)


Disclaimer: All these opinions are clearly subjective and I am in no way affiliated with The Voice or any other corporation.

Last season I was getting the blog up and going so this time around I'm trying out a new format. Instead of using numbers, I'll be using letter grade for the performance "report cards" at the bottom of the post. The report card is basically a ranking of all the contestants who performed tonight. Anyways, on with the show!

I'm sorry if this review is a little half ass. I don't know what it was about tonight but I just wasn't really into the show all that much. I just get a little annoyed at the skewed favoritism. Clearly going later in the night is for the more "popular" contestants but (aside from, like, week two with Shalyah), Shalyah and Paxton are always like the first two to perform. "Break Every Chain" and this week's "And I Am Telling You" more than deserved to close out their respective nights but they didn't because they have to give that spot to the Hannahs and the Adams and the Alisans. I know it's such a small thing but I think The Voice should really work on that next season and don't be so predictable. Ugh. Also the coaches just like hearing themselves talk at this point, it's just hot air spewing from their mouth. My favorite part of the night was Pink. She may not have offered much criticism but I loved when she told Laith she clenched her butt to reach the high note at the Oscars AND when she told BOTH Shalyah and Paxton they were the best singer in the world. She told that to both of them and I just thought it was funny.

On with the review of the performances:



SOLOS:
SHALYAH FEARING (TEAM ADAM)
"And I Am Telling You"
Oh, so is that how we're starting off the show, sweet miss? Shalyah gathered up every ounce of her voice and just slapped up across the face with it. Her voice hasn't sounded this good since, ironically, "Listen" (another song from Dreamgirls). Fierce, powerful, gritty, emotional. Shalyah delivered in every sense of the word. Do yourselves a favor and listen to her studio version! A- 


PAXTON INGRAM (TEAM BLAKE)
"I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)"
I personally thought Paxton sounded great and showed a lot of personality on stage. He took a very unexpected song choice and made something fun out of it. I still wish he did another gospel song because that would have really sealed the deal but he did as much as he could with a very strange song selection. C+ Did anyone else laugh when Blake said he'd never been prouder of any contestant he'd ever worked with when he has two other contestants backstage listening to all of this?

LAITH AL-SAADI (TEAM ADAM)
"One and Only"
I personally got so much life when Pink told him to clench his buttcheeks to reach the high note. I mean, hey, it worked. This song was weirdly perfect for laugh. It doesn't necessarily need all that growling, grit and raspiness but it adds a lot of depth whenever some executes it just right and I think Laith did. One of the most ridiculously consistent contestants on this show. Amazing.   B+


ALISAN PORTER (TEAM CHRISTINA)
"Desperado"
YASSSS RIHANNA?! No, but wouldn't it be something if Alisan picked "Desperado" by Rihanna?! In all seriousness, there's no doubt in my mind that Alisan is one of the strongest singers this season. I think she did what she does best here and it was even better that she pulled her vocals back (at least for the most part...). She can belt really well but at this point I roll my eyes when she's screaming. This was a good in between for her. Her body of work throughout the season is very impressive and this was a solid performance so I don't think she should have any problems sailing through to the next week. B-


ADAM WAKEFIELD (TEAM BLAKE)
"I'm Sorry"
I personally think Adam's overrated but I really, really do love his voice. It's smooth like butter and when he has a connection to a song he has a CONNECTION to a song. I don't really have much else to say about it, though, because he's done all this before. A lot of his performances are just so, so similar.  B

BRYAN BAUTISTA (TEAM CHRISTINA)
"Hurt"
WHAT. THE. HECK. I don't know if I've been so conflicted about a performance since, well, earlier in the night when Bryan performed. Haha. But it was so weird. Like, I know Bryan can sing. Bryan can sing really, really well. His range is crazy. The tone of his voice when he hits his higher register just really gets on my nerves, I cringe when he gets that high. It's probably just a personal preference. Everything else just connected really well. It was clear he had a strong emotional connection to the song and his vocal control is really, really spot on. I'm not going to be petty, though, because it was a good performance. A-

MARY SARAH (TEAM BLAKE)
"I Told You So"
I mean, okay, Mary's voice is really nice. But we're back to that whole old school country thing and I just don't think she's as impressive when she's doing it. Also, were we not supposed to see her at the beginning? Because I could see her shoulder so I thought it looked a little awkward? That's off base but whatever she sounded good but she bored me again. C+


HANNAH HUSTON (TEAM PHARRELL)
"When a Man Loves a Woman'"
Uh, yeah, this was pretty good. It was a little underwhelming though? Maybe I expected too much out of her after last weeks absolute masterpiece but I just feel like this could have been more epic. I thought it felt a little forced, be it on Hannah's part or The Voice's part because they like to juice up performances as if it's the best thing we've ever seen. I don't know, it was really good I just know Hannah could have done better the performance fell flat for me. Her studio version is a lot more thrilling, though. B

DUETS:
ALISAN & ADAM
"Angel from Montgomery"
I think their voices actually blended really well together. Alisan wasn't screaming at us to do our chores and when she pulls back it's gorgeous and Adam's voice is so natural. The tone of his voice is my definition of perfect, honestly. He could sing me the terms and conditions of iTunes and I'd listen. They did a great job together. B


BRYAN & MARY
"Break Free"
I don't know?! It was really weird because Mary and Bryan were actually very on pitch for the performance but I just didn't get it vocally. I like Bryan's voice but his upper register just gets so nasally for me and it gets on my nerve and that was basically him the whole song. And then there was that awkward part in the middle where they were supposed to be seductive or something and Mary looked a Looney Tunes character. I don't know there was just so much happening dude. C

LAITH & HANNAH
"Knock on Wood"
Who's picking these songs?! I just thought this song was really random like someone pulled it out of a bag. Hannah and Lairh were able to sell it. Laith rocked it out on the guitar and Hannah sung her way around the stage. It was a lot of fun. B+


SHALYAH & PAXTON
"Masterpiece"
I really enjoyed this! I think these are two of the most underrated contestants on this season. Their chemistry was electrifying and their vocals were very sharp! B+
REPORT CARD:
08. Mary Sarah C+ (Last week's position: #5 // -3) 
07. Paxton Ingram C+ (Last week's position: #7 // +1) 
06. Alisan Porter B- (Last week's position: #6 // -0) 
05. Adam Wakefield B (Last week's position: #7 // +2) 
04. Hannah Huston B (Last week's position: #1 // -3) 
03. Laith Al-Saadi B+ (Last week's position: #4 // +1) 
02. Bryan Bautista A- (Last week's position: #3 // +1) 
01. Shalyah Fearing A- (Last week's position: #2 // +1)

PREDICTIONS:
(MY) TOP FOUR:  Hannah Huston, Shalyah Fearing, Alisan Porter, Bryan Bautista (This is my personal dream top four)

(AMERICA'S) TOP FOUR:  Adam Wakefield, Alisan Porter, Mary Sarah (Eh) or Bryan Bautista, Hannah Huston

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...