Monday, May 9, 2016

The Voice 10: Top 9 Report Card


Disclaimer: All these opinions are clearly subjective and I am in no way affiliated with The Voice or any other corporation.

Last season I was getting the blog up and going so this time around I'm trying out a new format. Instead of using numbers, I'll be using letter grade for the performance "report cards" at the bottom of the post. The report card is basically a ranking of all the contestants who performed tonight. Anyways, on with the show!

Without a doubt one of the better live shows of the season, I'm beginning to see growth in a lot of contestants and that's superb. No offense, I went to the bathroom when that band came on and muted Gwen and Blake. But, um, great night!

On with the review of the performances:

PAXTON INGRAM (TEAM BLAKE)
"I Wanna Dance with Somebody"
I don't know what it is about Paxton. He has incredible vocals and a vibrant stage presence but he's been very underwhelming. I think if Paxton truly made it an acoustic, intimate performance it would have been a lot better. It just looked like an average performance from Paxton. That being said, an average performance is give you lights, camera and vocals. I liked the little groovy arrangement he had going, I personally just found it a very mid-range average performance. And his over-pronunciation go annoying again. B- Side note, of course Paxton is shoved to the beginning of the show.


MARY SARAH (TEAM BLAKE)
"My Church"
I will personally advertise anyone who can make a compilation of every time Mary or Blake talked about how Mary's so traditionally country. We get it. We hear it in her voice. This show wouldn't need to be two hours every week if the coaches didn't feel the need to fill up the empty space with such irrelevant words. For the record, I actually really enjoyed Mary's performance this week. The breakdown where she started interacting with the audience was actually filled with energy and she was very engaging this week. Good for her! B+


NICK HAGELIN (TEAM CHRISTINA)
"Hold On, We're Going Home"
This is strange. I actually loved the groovy, electric production behind this performance. Nick's lifeless vocals and cringe inducing falsetto, however? The first half of the performance was just a little dull so I was fine with it and actually dancing along to it. But, Nick, why run around the stage when you already sound out of breath when its just you and a guitar? The dancing was alright but I don't think it salvaged the performance as Adam and Pharrell would like us to believe. D+


HANNAH HUSTIN (TEAM PHARRELL)
"Say You Love Me"
Earlier in the night, Blake told Paxton that he's getting better every week. That's not true. For Paxton at least. Hannah on the other hand? She started the competition as a front runner and she's slowly been making a true believer out of me the more I watch her. This performance from Olivia Clarke was absolutely beautiful. Her vocals soared at times and at others there was an impressive amount of vocal restraint from someone who can growl and belt so aggressively. Consistency is great but growth is key and Hannah has been growing every single week.  A-


SHALYAH FEARING (TEAM ADAM)
"A Change Is Gonna Come"
Not THAT'S how you do it young miss. Shalyah is dangerous. When you give her the right song she will absolutely kill it. The past few weeks, it's not that Shalyah has been missing the passion she's just been missing her pitch. Her pitch was there, her passion was there, the growl was there. Shalyah was back in full force tonight, that was a really powerful performance! My only disappointment is that I thought she was doing "No More Drama" this week? Uh, Adam, wyd? Maybe next time. A-

LAITH AL-SAADI (TEAM ADAM)
"We've Got Tonight"
I loved seeing a new side to Laith and I loved loving it. He sounded great! I was initially against Adam's adding in that extra beat to the production but it probably would have been jarring to hear his extremely gritty voice against a soft piano melody. It worked out for the long run. Another great performance from Laith. My favorite part of his segment was Adam and Pharrell shading the hell out of the audience's crappy clapping on beat. Hands down my favorite moment of the night. B+

ADAM WAKEFIELD (TEAM BLAKE)
"Love Has No Pride"
Here's my problem with Adam. I have no idea why people love him so much. Yes, his voice is amazing. When I tell you I hear him singing and it sounds like the studio version of a song already mixed up, I'm not joking. But I honestly don't get why he's so popular. (Or was? I dunno). I thought vocally his performance was great. There's just something about Adam that doesn't curl all the way around for me. B-


ALISAN PORTER (TEAM CHRISTINA)
"Cryin'"
Was the excessive belting and overindulgent high notes back? Yes. However, Alisan gets a pass because it was nice to see her sing a song that was something different than a power ballad (or ballad). But, look, mama sang from her cervix tonight. Vocally it was a killer. Also  because this music really, really suits her voice and I think that helped sell the performance. I lived for the sass she had the entire time as well it was nice to see some personality out of her. I'm sad from the departure from last week because it was lovely to hear her stripped back and not so balls to the wall belty. B

BRYAN BAUTISTA (TEAM CHRISTINA)
"1 + 1"
Bryan did not reach into his pocket and pull out finger guns. Aside from the production team trying to blind us with those bright, white lights I actually really enjoyed this performance. It still had a few of the little flaws that personally grind my gears when it comes to Bryan (his upper register's tone just annoys me). The end with him banging on the stage was a little extra but his voice was absolutely crazy. He sounded great and there wasn't too much cheese, just the right amount of dairy. Bryan finally found the perfect song for him and I'm glad he got to do this one. B+

REPORT CARD:
09. Nick Hagelin D+ (Last week's position: #9 // +0) 
08. Paxton Ingram B- (Last week's position: #7 // -1) 
07. Adam Wakefield B- (Last week's position: #2 // -5) 
06. Alisan Porter B+ (Last week's position: #5 // -1) 
05. Mary Sarah B+ (Last week's position: #6 // +1) 
04. Laith Al-Saadi B+ (Last week's position: #3 // -1) 
03. Bryan Bautista B+ (Last week's position: #4 // +1) 
02. Shalyah Fearing A- (Last week's position: #8 // +6) 
01. Hannah Huston A- (Last week's position: #1 // -0)

PREDICTIONS:
BOTTOM TWO:  Paxton Ingram and Nick Hagelin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...