Sunday, May 1, 2016

#SurvivorSunday: The Voice Edition (Top 10)


Welcome to #SurvivorSunday: The Voice edition! Just a quick disclaimer that everything down below are my personal opinions. I'm in no way affiliated with any corporation, especially The Voice or NBC.

What is Survivor? Alright, so I do recaps of performances for various singing shows and I give my two cents but Survivor is where I put my ten cents in and try and give the contestants a bit of advice (even though they're clearly not reading this) about what they can do to stay in the competition. Last season, these posts were simply titled "Survivor", but I'm trying something new out so bare with me!

Everything down below is not only referring to said contestant's previous performance, but their overall history in the competition. Pros and Cons are just what you'd think and the Verdict is basically what I think they can do to get through to the next round and whether or not I think they're safe or not. On to Survivor!

ADAM WAKEFIELD
Pros: That voice was still there and I thought the first half of his performance had a lot of energy and there was a really bluesy, fun vibe to it.

Cons: The first half of "Lights" was great but I thought he totally lost the connection he had to the song the second he stood up and left the piano. One of the great things about him is his effortless singing but he also has an ability to capture the message of a song and he didn't all the way do it for me.

Verdict: A lot of people didn't love his song choice, or the performance for that matter, but I thought he did pretty good. A lot of the front runners seemed to have a bit of trouble this past week but he seemed alright to me. He's still a front runner in my opinion so this week will see the test to whether or not this was a flub or he's really heading downhill from here.

ALISAN PORTER
Pros: The vocals were all there. Alison The Voice Slayer.

Cons: She seemed to be going a bit over board on the vocals and by the end I think she focused way too much on showing off and, like Adam, lost her connection to the song. This was probably the first time I thought her voice was excellent but I didn't get goosebumps because not everything completely there.

Verdict: Again, like Adam, this week will really determine whether this week was just a little stone in the river or if she's just a one trick high note pony.

BRYAN BAUTISTA
Pros: [Insert what I put last week] and add that he really improved from last week.

Cons: He's still relying on mozzarella, cheddar, and nacho. What does that mean? He's cheesy as I don't know what. A few weeks ago he was cranking out PillowTalk and wasn't being so predictable. At this point, I know that he's going to go around with flirty eyes and use his falsetto. What's next?

Verdict: If he improves a little this week I think he's bought himself another week.

DANIEL PASSINO
Pros: He's a natural on stage.

Cons: I may be the only one who gets annoyed by him the minute he stops singing but he just comes off as extremely cocky and I don't know why it bothers me so much. Also, when I watch him perform I find myself swaying because there's no doubt he is an amazing singer (I listened to his iTunes recording for "Time After Time" a lot) but watching him on stage is more of a mixed bag for me.

Verdict: I have no idea how he ended up in the bottom, but with much less entertaining and less vocally talented contestants I don't think there's any reason he can't come out with a killer performance and shoot his way up out of the bottom two. JUST PUT SOME EMOTION IN AND DON'T BE SO FAKE DANIEL I REALLY LIKE YOU.

HANNAH HUSTON
Pros: We've moved from the 60's into the 90's! Still not contemporary, but we're moving in the right direction! I love her voice, she arguably has the best tone left in the competition now that Emily and Owen are gone. I think she's tied with two others for the most consistently strong contestants on the show right now.

Cons: The only possible thing I could think of is how distracting her hand is when it's moving up down and all around. She's usually moved around on stage so I guess it was just more distracting since she was standing still.

Verdict: As long as she stays stable or improves, she's safe.

LAITH AL-SAADI
Pros: This is going to be extremely petty but I think I might prefer when Laith sings songs I know because he hasn't had a weak week yet but I didn't care for his performance "Born Under a Bad Sign" simply because I didn't know the song but I was feeling "Make it Rain". His voice was excellent and he gets into this groove on stage that's absolutely infectious.

Cons: I'm not exactly sure?

VerdictLaith's a really mixed bag. I don't know if his body of work really matters all the much it depends on the performance of the week he's having and based on last week, it was awesome. This week I can only hope he does something as great.

MARY SARAH
Pros: "Mary Sarah, um, wow you just keep introducing me to new songs. Great job, you look beautiful as always, consistent, strong, beautiful job love." 

Cons: I'm Christina at this point. I just have generic things to say about her because I haven't been wowed by her yet. She, Hannah and Laith are extremely consistent. The only difference is that Mary is extremely consistently just okay.

Verdict: No idea. Apparently America likes her so if she stays consistent she's good.

NICK HAGELIN
Pros: [Just read last week's Survivor]

Cons: [Just read last week's Survivor]

Verdict: Just sing on key, son.

PAXTON INGRAM
Pros: Wow. That's all I can really muster up to say. Paxton literally did EVERYTHING I said he should do and the results were stellar. It all just comes down to song choice with Paxton. His voice can sing anything but he clearly shines when he's singing gospel/inspirational music. I wanted to lead praise and worship and my fictional church after I watched this performance. The amount of passion and love for what he's doing just poured out of him during this performance and it played to absolutely all of his fabulous strengths.

Cons: Not this week girl.

Verdict: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA MOST VIEWS ON YOUTUBE, HIGHEST PEAK ON ITUNES HAHAHAH YASSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! Polar opposite of last week. I hope the extra eyes stay with Paxton because it's great to see people finally realizing what a talent he is. I would love to say he is completely safe this wee...you know what, I'm just going to speak it into existence.


SHALYAH FEARING
Pros: The growl was still there and came through and visibly was connected to the song.

Cons: On paper, "The Climb" should have worked for Shalyah. But either the music wasn't her style or she had a sore throat because something sounded off about her vocals this week.

Verdict: As long as she bounces back from this she's fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...