Sunday, April 24, 2016

#SurvivorSunday: The Voice Edition (Top 11)


Welcome to #SurvivorSunday: The Voice edition! Just a quick disclaimer that everything down below are my personal opinions. I'm in no way affiliated with any corporation, especially The Voice or NBC.

What is Survivor? Alright, so I do recaps of performances for various singing shows and I give my two cents but Survivor is where I put my ten cents in and try and give the contestants a bit of advice (even though they're clearly not reading this) about what they can do to stay in the competition. Last season, these posts were simply titled "Survivor", but I'm trying something new out so bare with me!

Everything down below is not only referring to said contestant's previous performance, but their overall history in the competition. Pros and Cons are just what you'd think and the Verdict is basically what I think they can do to get through to the next round and whether or not I think they're safe or not. On to Survivor!

ADAM WAKEFIELD
Pros: He's the best of both worlds. He's a country singer but he has enough soul to reinstate someone after an exorcism. If anyone is going to creep out of nowhere and snatch the competition out of Alisan Porter's grasp, it's Adam. He fits the profile of the past, what, three or for winners (all white guys).

Cons: It's a bit early in the competition and he's one of the front runners so I can't think of anything to rag on him for, aside from the obvious. I hope he hasn't peaked too early (but it's not like that hurt Jordan Smith last season).

Verdict: Safe. No question.

ALISAN PORTER
Pros: My sweet sis can sing her BUTT off. I mean, some of the notes she goes for are unreal. I've found myself listening to the recording of her "Stone Cold" cover multiple times since Monday. Side notes, she peaked at #9 on iTunes...has Demi's version peaked that high yet? Yikes. Anyways, it's Alisan's competition to lose at this point.

Cons: Keep in mind I only watch The Voice during the live rounds when I say that I haven't heard her do anything but belty ballads that are supposed to hit you with the feels yet. Maybe she could try and put some variety in her performance? The big cut of contestants is slowly approaching but while the Twitter save is still active she could basically do whatever she wants.

Verdict: Once again, safe, no doubt.

BRYAN BAUTISTA
Pros: He's a really, really good singer and extremely easy to market.

Cons: He sung "Kiss from a Rose" last week. I have no idea why, but I hope he steers out of this lane and does more contemporary and less cheesy stuff than a song where he's supposed to woo the ladies in the room. It's predictable.

Verdict: From the looks of it, he's doing everything right but iTunes confuses me because he doesn't chart as high as some of the other front runners and that counts for a lot of their votes, right? I don't know, this is The Voice. I'm going to go on a limb and say he's safe because it's early in the competition and I think that's when you play around with some of your weaker performances.

DANIEL PASSINO
Pros: Great voice, confident on stage and interesting when he's up there.

Cons: There was so much cheese in his performance of "Human Nature". I hate to be that guy, but I think that would have been great if The Voice was back in 2006 but this is 2015. It was entertaining...I just don't want him to do it every week.

Verdict: Amaaaaazing voice, still riding high from "When I Was Your Man", so I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's safe for now.

HANNAH HUSTON
Pros: Honey child, that growl? Much like Daniel, she's still riding high from "House of the Rising Sun" during The Knockouts. That cemented her as a front runner, "Ain't No Way" was a little bit tricky but she hoped back on top with "Something's Got a Hold on Me". She got to show off her fun, goofy side while commanding the stage and slaying all of her vocals. She gave just the right amount of sass and she didn't sound like she was straining.

Cons: I don't have a problem with this, but the public might have a problem with her being stuck in the '60s. Girl, do you, I just have no idea how The Voice audience operates.

Verdict: Safe. Safe, girl. I say SAFE.

LAITH AL-SAADI
Pros: He's just...soulful, funky and a rockin' good time on stage.

Cons: Look, I love me some Santa as much as the next guy but it's hard for me to differentiate his performances from each other. They feel like they all ring together but that's just me, don't kill me fans!



VerdictI know it doesn't sound like it, but I really want him to stay around a while because he really can sing and I LOVE watching him up on that stage. And for now I think we'll get just that, more of him having a funky good time on stage.

MARY SARAH
Pros: Beautiful voice. Beautiful girl. Beautiful gowns, great gowns.

Cons: I don't know what it is about Mary Sarah. She has a lovely voice but she just bores the living daylights out of me. I'm bored writing this.

Verdict: She has to do SOMETHING to step it up tomorrow night. I was shocked when she wasn't it the bottom two. She reminds me of Shelby Brown in a sense. She's doing everything right but she just hasn't found a way to give the other contestants a run for their money yet. She's in danger this week, I think.

NICK HAGELIN
Pros: He has a pretty face. He has a great (studio) voice.

Cons: I thought it was a fluke when he did "Stay", but Nick just doesn't sound all that hot live. DAM the nation said he's like Chris Jamison, but less talented. I think he hit in on the NOSE. Everything's there but the voice, ironically. He just sounds sooooo out of breath when he sings. Much like Charlie Puth, he'd be just fine if he stuck to studio singing.

Verdict: I think he's safe, but I wouldn't put my money on him winning. Unless he does, which wouldn't surprise me either.

OWEN DANOFF
Pros: Owen has a really nice voice.

Cons


Verdict: Vocally, he's got it. In every other sense I just don't feel him. When he sung "7 Years"  he had no vocal issues whatsoever, but he seemed so focused with singing the right notes that he lost the feeling of the song. And I feel like that's what happens with him every week. He's in danger until he just...fixes whatever is blocking him because he has a lot of potential.

PAXTON INGRAM
Pros: He is SO MUCH FUN. It's like he can't contain himself and he just loses himself when he's on stage and gets consumed by the performance and I love watching that. Plus he can really sing his butt off!

Cons

Verdict: .......People just don't like him! He has an illegal amount of dislikes on his YouTube video for "Hands to Myself". I'll admit that the way he over pronounces his words kind of bothers me, but other than that he's great! His chart on iTunes, however isn't great. I think, unfortunately, he's in danger. I breathed a sigh of relief when he was declared safe last week, though!


SHALYAH FEARING
Pros: I don't know how to say this. The Voice isn't the type of show that can make me get the goosebumps when I watch a performance. There are a lot of good singers that come in and out, but it's not often that I feel something genuine with the contestants. I got goosebumps over and over and over again because of Shalyah's rendition of "Listen". It was powerful and emotional, and she vocally hit most of her marks. This performance of "Up to the Mountain" followed in the same vein. She sounded great and the passion was pouring out of her.

Cons: It was very, very emotional so her vocals suffered a bit. I don't think this is all about the emotions though. As Carson likes to remind us every time he says her name, she's the youngest in the competition and she clearly doesn't have the best control of her voice but I said this last week, I'll take a perfect emotional performance over a pitch perfect voice any day and Shalyah brings it home every week.

Verdict: She kills it every week and has had a decent iTunes performance, I think she's alright for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...