Thursday, April 21, 2016

MUSIC REVIEW: Pia Toscano "You'll Be King" & "Pyro"

Fans of robbed American Idol powerhouses have been so blessed lately. First off, Pia Toscano (Top 9, Season 10) drops not one, but two new singles in the span of one day. Haley Reinhart (Top 3, Season 10) drops her first single in forever, announces a new album (which I'm no doubt reviewing!) and a summer tour. Jessica Sanchez (Runner-up, Season 11) finally releases a new single...you see where I'm going with this. We have all just been so blessed and highly favored lately. I'm reviewing all of the above over the next few days but I thought I'd start with my girl Pia Toscano since we've been waiting on her music the longest.

I remember refusing to watch Idol the week after Pia left. I wanted the show to get canceled (and I thought my one view would do it, haha!) so I wanted ratings to SINK.  ...They didn't, and I was okay with it because it forced me to find a new favorite in the competition and Haley Reinhart stole my heart (but more on her when we get to her review). Fans breathed a sigh of relief less than 24 hours later when she was reportedly signed to Interscope, released a single and a music video before the season of Idol was even over...then dropped soon after in a mass cut (ironically, Haley Reinhart also parted ways around the same time). The ENTIRE album she recorded was just never to be released. She's kept things quiet up until now but I'm hoping this can be the year of the Pia. By the looks of it, she's grabbing life by the balls and singing her soul out and you will find no complaints for me.

Let's start of with "You'll Be King". This power ballad is just in Pia's wheelhouse, simple just her voice and a piano. While it's not the radio friendly, or Billboard friendly, track that will cater to what the music audience have shifted to, it's no doubt a beautiful song. The lyrics are beautiful, pleading and her voice captures those emotions beautifully. And speaking of her voice? Pia hasn't lost touch with those wickedly insane notes that she was known for on Idol. Her vocals start out simple but build as the song reaches it's climax about three minutes. That's where her voice soars and she hits a note that comes out of nowhere and leaves you satisfied as she closes the song out with a final phrase, whose notes are a little closer down to earth. Long story short, this song is beautiful. 

SONG GRADE: A-

What I love the most about "Pyro" is that, although it's catered more towards the radio and what's hot on the charts now, it doesn't lose any of the emotions or her vocal power. She spent overtime in the studio with those back up vocals during the chorus. Long story short, this song is the best of both worlds. It has the potential to reach many different markets (pop radio, the club), it's something to get you moving and it proves that she's not just successful at selling a compelling ballad. There's some versatility in her and it shows how much she's improved from her time off after Idol to now.

SONG GRADE: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...