Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Survivor: American Idol Edition (Top 4)


Welcome to Survivor: American Idol edition! Just a quick disclaimer that everything down below are my personal opinions. I'm in no way affiliated with any corporation, especially Idol or Fox.


What is Survivor? Alright, so I do recaps of performances for various singing shows and I give my two cents but Survivor is where I put my ten cents in and try and give the contestants a bit of advice (even though they're clearly not reading this) about what they can do to stay in the competition. 

Everything down below is not only referring to said contestant's previous performance, but their overall history in the competition. Pros and Cons are just what you'd think and the Verdict is basically what I think they can do to get through to the next round and whether or not I think they're safe or not. On to Survivor!

DALTON RAPATTONI
Pros: He did it! Dalton successfully stripped back his intense, insane, and sometimes exhausting, performances and went for a more emotional, intimate week last week and it paid off tremendously. His voice was just as good as I've ever heard it sound and something about being in the bottom two made his performances even more stronger and more emotional.

Cons: He has the weakest voice in the competition. I'm pretty sure he also has the strongest fan base and is ridiculously marketable so what does that matter in the long run, really?

Verdict: Whatever my feelings toward him are, he had his best two performances last week. When it comes to contestants like these (in my opinion, lackluster and over rated), when they do just a little above their typical average the audience absolutely eats it up so I think he's making it through to the top three. Whether he's in the bottom two on performance night remains to be seen. But when La'Porsha and Trent are the only other two in the competition who can be in the bottom two (because I am telling you MacKenzie is going home) why would Dalton...not be? Long story short, he's safe but probably in the bottom two.

LA'PORSHA RENAE
Pros: La'Porsha's voice is spectacular and she's a performing chamelion. Her versatility in this competition has been astounding so far. She's done soul, R&B, pop, country, blues and rock (just to name a few). Not just that but she low key made me believe she was a cow boy and that she had an elastic heart, all while keeping the emotion high, strong and not having her vocals suffer in the least bit. She's stunning. My queen.

Cons: The only con I can really think of is the end of "Dead or Alive", when it kind of sounded like she lost the glory note at the end. She covered it up with a seizure inducing (in the good way) run and the end, but I mean if I have to come up with a con that's the only one I can think of. VOTE, Y'ALL. WE ARE NOT HAVING ANOTHER TAMYRA GRAY, CHRIS DAUGHTERY SHOCKING TOP FOUR ELIMINATION THIS YEAR. I REBUKE IT.

Verdict: While she was still amazing this week, this was the first week where she hasn't towered over everyone else when it came to their performances. Trent came out of nowhere challenging her for the crown and Dalton actually did pretty good this week. While I don't think this means she is in any danger of elimination, due to the random nature of American Idol I wouldn't be surprised if she was in the bottom two.

MACKENZIE BOURG
Pros: He's likable, a very original style and a nice soft little voice on him and he looks like the love child of Barry Allen and Harry Wells.

Cons: His voice isn't "Titanium." While none of his performances were bad last week, I just thought they weren't memorable. If I'm being honest, I'm starting to get a little bored with MacKenzie. He hasn't had a "bad" week this season but when La'Porsha and Trent come out doing literal vocal runs all around the stage and Dalton is over here forcing you to pull out your kleenex tissues (I'm assuming, I don't cry ever, so...) he seems to just fade away to the background a little bit.  "Titanium" could have been a defining moment but it just wasn't that.

Verdict: I think MacKenzie's going home this week. Just as the competition is heating up, he seems to be cooling down for me. 

TRENT HARMON
Pros: Last week I said La'Porsha was "clearly the best singer in the competition." I don't know if Trent reads my blog and he just decided that he needed to prove me wrong but he did. His performance of "Chandelier" was probably one of the most beautiful vocal moments in American Idol in years. His vocal control is ridiculously impeccable and he's proven to be the best technical vocalist in the competition. Pack that on with his performance of "Sharp Dressed Man", which was not only vocally excellent - but his performance was energetic and he seemed much more natural on stage than the previous week's performance of "Counting Stars" (which seemed like he snorted a pile of coke right before he stepped onto the stage..

Cons: Cons...what? The only possible con I can think of is him not living up to these two performances this week. If he isn't able to match, or build, on this momentum I don't think it will be a good thing for him. Even his lackluster performances are usually just as good as everyone else's best so he should be fine.

Verdict: Trent is brilliant. He's peaking at the perfect time. I was never his biggest fan until a few weeks ago but this week his defined what it meant to be a dark horse in a singing competition. He finally stood out and broke out of his shell and the results were stunning. Speaking of results, he's no doubt making it to the semi-finals next week. No. Doubt. #SpeakItIntoExistance, Max!

FINAL PREDICTIONS:
Bottom Two (I assume that's how they're doing it?): MacKenzie & Dalton
Eliminated: MacKenzie 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...