Friday, March 25, 2016

MUSIC REVIEW: K. Michelle "More Issues Than Vogue"



Disclaimer: This is a review for K. Michelle's third studio album "More Issues Than Vogue". All the thoughts expressed in this post are subjective and obviously very biased towards how I feel about it. I'm in no way affiliated with any company. Review after the jump!



01. MINDFUL
The perfect opening track. It encompasses everything I love about K. Michelle. Hood Michelle. When I like a song of hers, I love the song and when I love the song it's for two things: her vocals, and the production. This song has awesome production and there is so much attitude, some might find it a little raunchy but...it's K. Michelle. She wouldn't be herself if she wasn't telling "that bitch to move back." (8/10)

02. GOT 'EM LIKE THAT
It's one of the more contemporary songs on the album, whereas a lot of the songs differ between sounding as if they belong in different eras (which isn't a bad thing). It's one of the tracks that sounds more like a lot of the other generic R&B/Hip hop tracks out there. It's by no means a bad song, it's just not my favorite. (7/10)

03. AIN'T YOU
Much like "Not a Little Bit," this song very cleverly weaves in it's title (Ain't You) into it's chorus. Her phrasing is great in this song and it's one of her strong suits and is the perfect song to be sandwiched in between the similar (in production) "Got 'Em Like That" and NALB. (7/10)

04. NOT A LITTLE BIT
[Check out my fuller, more in depth review of this song HERE. Spoiler alert: I loved it.] (9.5/10)

05. IF IT AIN'T LOVE
This song is so beautiful. It's a cross between a 50/60's Doo Wop and a '90s R&B tune. The song is about being crazy about someone and only being able to identify that feeling as true love. It's lyrically beautiful and her voice is in top form here. A special shout out to the background singers that were doing overtime in that studio! (9/10)

06. MAKE THE BED (feat. Jason Derulo)
This song is a bit of a mixed bag for me. On one hand, I absolutely LOVE the production. It's interesting to hear her voice in more of a pop-infused track, it's definitely more suited for Derulo's style of voice. The lyrical content of the song wasn't my song, I'm not that big a fan of songs about sex but if I'm listening to the album it wouldn't be one of the songs I skip because I love it's sound. (7.5/10)

07. NIGHTSTAND
Alright K. Michelle, you better come through with that throwback! Her voice sounds great here and the instrumentation is the perfect contrast to give it the flare it needs. It's also wonderful surprise when she collides the two worlds and the middle of the song smoothly transitions into the more contemporary production then back to the whole "throwback" sound. (8.5/10)

08. THESE MEN
I absolutely love the blues-y vibe I'm getting from this track. The violins give the song the edge it needs to make it sound epic and I may sound like a broken record but that vocal of hers comes through all the time and this was no exception. (8/10)

09. ALL I GOT
If Disney had a black princess who grew up in Harlom, I feel like this is how the score of the movie would go. I'm not sure what about it makes it feel kind of magical and misty, but it has beautiful production to it and a much sweeter sound than the rest of the album. (7.5/10)

10. TIME
Okay, girl! Hit me with this Mary J. Blige production! This took me back to the early 2000s when R&B songs about pain and hurt absolutely dominated the music scene. I would have loved to hear a much more raw sound in her voice, it sounds like it was mixed in the studio a little (not auto-tuned, she definitely doesn't need that) but it's far from a weak link on the album. (8/10)

11. RICH (feat. Trina & Yo Gotti)
Bam. I love the chorus, it's really catchy. Half of the song sounded like the score for...like Toyz In the Hood (Toy Story 4, there's your storyline right there) in a good way. The highlight of the track was Trina's rap over the Toyz in the Hood score. That was bomb and she went in on those bitches (whoever they are). (7.5/10)

12. SLEEP LIKE A BABY
This sort of sounded like a mix between an 80s rock song and a soulful song and I liked it for some reason. The lyrics were great but I felt like it was a strange way to end the album with a song that sounded like it belonged on a different album. (7/10)

ALBUM GRADE: A-
This is a very strong body of work from K. Michelle. I could take her or leave her back in the day but she made me a fan with "More Issue Than Vogue". I absolutely love her new sound, her voice is as strong as ever and the lyrical content and story tapped inside of every song was gorgeous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...