Sunday, February 14, 2016

American Idol 15: Top 24 (Part 1) Duets/Results Show Recap




Eh, I'm kind of happy and kind of pissed off but this is Idol, what do you expect? Instead of beating around the bush, I'm just going to start with the duets because they weren't that hard to watch (considering I only paid attention to about half).

We're just going to start with Fantastia's duets, because why would I not start with Fantasia the fierce Barrino? First of all, I haven't cried fully in about three years but watching her and La'Porsha talk just got me in my feelings. They really got each other and were able to put that into the song and I really felt it. Obviously the vocal runs had me hooping and hollaring. Their voices complimented each other so purely, it was as if they were just melted together to be in this song together. This reminded me of Candace & JHUD singing "Inseperable" and Jennifer Holiday & Jessica Sanchez singing "And I Am Telling You" on their respective finales. "Baby, I get a rush off your gift." As do I, Fantasia, as do I. There was a girl loosing her mind right before the song started in the audience, and that was basically me the entire performance. From start to finish, this was clearly one of the most memorable moments of the season. It reminded me of back in the show's haydays when all you needed was pure unfiltered talent to make it this far in the competition (looking at everyone but Sonika, Stephany and MacKenzie...) (9.5/10). "You want some fried chicken?" I am so sick that they eliminated Jordan. The last moments of his and Fantasia's clip package were the most entertaining American Idol has been since Season 12. I honestly love Jordan's voice. I get what they were talking about during his solo when they said he was showing off, because he was, but they were so out of line tonight and blatant with their favoritism. They picked something to critique (even though JLO said it, I'm sure she's not the one who thought of it) and echoed the same thought throughout the three judges speaking and it was annoying to see. Jordan is the kind of contestant that could potentially be an underdog and steal the show. As for his duet, I absolutely loved it. I think he's one of the performers who gets so lost in the music when they're performing, it's as if he blacks out on stage and something else takes him over. His voice sounded amazing against Fantasia's, he's most definitely the only male who could have even come close to being close to being even close to Fantasia, in terms of vocal power. I think it was ironic how Keith and co. told him to be more passionate and emotional during the song, that's exactly what he did, and they still criticized it. I really wish they would have kept him instead of the chew toy (hope you caught that) (8/10).


"Girl, whatever you have to do to stay in key....do it." I would have much preferred a panel of past contestants/winners (pre-Kris Allen), as to having the three we're stuck with right now. Ruben took the words out of my mouth when he told Avalon she better get back in key (much nicer than that, of course). I thought their duet sounded fine. Nothing too special but I think it gave Avalon a really good chance for her to be in her element, singing something more R&B/Soul. I am so glad they paired her up with one of the black mentors, honestly. She's so cool I just can't deal (7.5/10). I don't know why Stephany didn't make it through, I much preferred this to Avalon and Ruben. Their voices sounded really beautiful together, especially considering the big voice Stephany has. She also has great vocal control, which she was able to showcase at the end (8/10). Also, y'all saw Ruben sweating up there too, right? I wish Ryan brought him up a towel (and his brother) since Idol is clearly going for the nostalgic route this season.


Let me start off with: I love Sonika's voice. She arguably has the most gently beautiful voice in the competition. It's soft, but powerful. Putting her with Caleb Johnson was a mistake to me. They both sounded just fine together but it was as if he was performing like they were on stage at the show in front of the audience and judges and she was just at rehearsal. He was at a 10 and she was at a 6. It just felt as if their voices weren't very complimenting of each other and Sonika was right in saying this is a very dramatic song. This could have been a true moment for her if she was able to connect with the song and bring a little more feeling out but she wasn't just pretty good, while Caleb most definitely outshined her (7/10). "Make that guitar your bitch." The judges always yap about musicality and originality and James has it. Just his interactions alone with Caleb "you just want me to vamp it? Cause I will...". Alas, he would have had a good shot of winning the show in Season 10 or Season 13, he's clearly not the winner the producers want this season and it's cool because he's not exactly my style but I liked him and thought he should have gone further. Once again, a pretty good performance that Caleb outshined the contestant on (7/10).


MacKenzie's tied for my favorite guy in the competition, let's start out with that. Let's end with how I didn't love this performance too much. Individually, Lauren and MacKenzie sounded absolutely amazing. When they came together it was as if Lauren was singing with her mouth directly pressed up on the microphone and four octaves above MacKenzie. I may be a little knit picky, but it felt like Lauren was outshining him. Unlike Caleb, who naturally is just that loud, I think Lauren could have held back much more and allowed him to do some more with the song because this was a flashback to Alex & Sierra performing with Leona Lewis on The X Factor USA 3. MacKenzie felt more like a backup singer (6.5/10). Aw, white girls connecting together. This kind of felt like a duet on The Voice. Emily and Lauren were a much better match than her and MacKenzie. Emily an Lauren looked like they were genuinely having the time of their life, I wouldn't have been mad if Emily made it through because she most definitely made up for her terrible solo performance (7.5/10).

Did anyone else laugh when JLO was the one to say that Gianna was going through. Because she's friend's with her mom. And her mom is famous. And that's the only reason she's made it so far. And the public are probably gonna vote her out by week four of the live shows. Isn't that funny? In all seriousness, this performance wasn't bad. There was so much energy and I loved it, Gianna's vocals weren't that bad but once again she just looked like a bad impression of Alessia Cara. She seems as if she's doing her high school talent show and not American Idol and it's kind of annoying to see her just sail on by when there are some people who really deserved to go through (5/10). Thomas sounds like a chew toy. I thought this was what Nick was getting at when he told him about "habits" that he had on stage, but nah. My problem with Thomas is that in this day and age, he doesn't really need Idol. He can just start a YouTube account and regardless of his talent level, little girls will click on his videos because they think he's cute or whatever and he can get more recognition than from him actually being on the show. I don't know why the judges (especially Harry's motorolla ass) juice him up so much. Also, they looked so uncomfortable without their guitars. BUT UGH, THE SQUEAKS MAN (5.5/10). The performance itself wasn't so bad, by the end I was really getting into it, but the squeaks just made me squirm and knocked it down.

All I thought seeing Scotty was that I wanted Haley Reinhart to win that season. And I can't wait until Haley comes back next week and shows everyone what the hell is up. What if she sings Benny & the Jets, or House of the Rising Sun, or I Who Have Nothing, or You & I (because the judges ripped on her for singing a song no one knows but who doesn't know You & I by Lady Gaga now, huh, JLO & Randy?). Sorry, let's not rant. In all seriousness, the duet between Jenna and Scotty was actually pretty good. But she didn't make it through, so, eh (6/10). I think the judges are keeping Jeneve around for a good laugh. Because I didn't hear anything past my laughing at her facial expressions. Scotty and Jeneve were actually perfect together. Like a match made in redneck heaven (4/10). HAHAHAHAHAHAHA JENVEEEEEEEEEEE. But really, was this a practical joke for us? "It was bizzare." "I have no idea why you got saddled with that song." I'm gonna forget it happened too, Keith. Except when I need a good ass laugh.


To sum everything up: YAY La'Porsha, Sonika, MacKenzie and Avalon! NO, BITCH Gianna, Thomas & Jeneve. AW Jordan, James, Stephany, Emily. IDC Jenna.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...