Sunday, January 17, 2016

Hit the Floor: Season 1 Review

SPOILERS AFTER THE JUMP FOR THE FIRST SEASON OF VH1'S "HIT THE FLOOR"! Do not enter unless you've seen the season, or just love my writing (:

Hit the Floor found it's home perfectly at VH1. In a time where America thrives on watching messy television that piles shocker on top of more drama on top of Kyle giving someone a lap dance, Hit the Floor knows what it is and where it is. Hit the Floor is kind of like a Tyler Perry drama with better writing and flashy dance numbers. It doesn't try and be American Crime or True Detective or any of those other critical darlings. It's here for entertainment and Kyle's accent. The show has a very firm grasp on what it wanted to be from the first episode and what a wild first episode it was. Upon catching it's marathon this weekend, I expected it to be a more insane version of Hellcats, which I absolutely loved. And it was...kind of. I thought the story-lines were pretty interesting, the dancing was alright but I wanted it to be a little more fun. A little bit more on a lighter side of things. Aside from Kyle, there wasn't much humor in the scripts. It's those little things that can push a show into greatness. 

Take Jelena for example. She was a great villain/antagonist played very well by Logan Browning, but you didn't really have a reason to want her to stay around. She didn't have some sob story that made you care for her and she wasn't that type of villain to come out with a bunch of witty remarks aside from when she was in the fitting room with Olivia. Like once. That was it. And Ahsha, whose name I got so annoyed trying to spell with my friend when I was texting her I said bitch I'm just going to call her Asia, gave me Spongebob when he popped out of the sea. She was so dry. And by the back half of the first season, it was like the writers wanted us to hate her. She had no spunk, a pretty crappy personality. As much as I didn't like how butt hurt Devon Carter (sorry, that's all German/Jordan McDaniel will ever be to me) got, I couldn't side with Ahsha either (mostly because she still hadn't told him about her kiss with Derek at that point). 

But the straw that broke the nigga's feelings was when she had Olivia reveal to the public that she was Pete's daughter so she could win the All-Star Game spot, when (as German put it so perfectly) was a bitchy move - considering she hadn't spoken to him since two or three episodes prior. She probably also did it because she was hurt that she caught him sleeping with her mom and was hurt and most likely thought it was to hurt her because everything has to be about her. Episode 9 is where I started to really dislike her from her whole "Why can't I have anything, everyone hates me and is out to get me" monologue to Olivia to her weak ass face when Derek said that he wasn't going to chase her anymore. If you hate him so much why aren't you happy he's doing everything you've asked of him (to leave her alone) and bouncing? Speaking of, bouncing is literally all Ahsha is good at from the way she dipped out of her moms house, to the way she dashed out of German's place after their first fight then after their second fight (which was the ultimate end to their relationship in the first season). I loved the look on her face after Jelena called her out on what she's turned into. That was the Jelena I've been waiting for (well, no, the Jelena I was waiting for came when I saw that she was the one who drugged her boyfriend so he wouldn't be transferred). Also, I couldn't stand Sloan for some reason. I just thought she was so over dramatic and everything, I just...eh.

As for the dances, they were hit or miss to me. For a show as flashy as Hit the Floor would like to be, the dances have to be just as flashy. I'm not a dancer so I might as well be Kesha talking about vocals, but I think that makes me even more qualified to judge it because I can't be the only person watching the show who isn't that into dancing. So when something catches my eye it means something. I found a lot of the dancing to be basic, honestly. A lot of it was just girls twirling on the floor and in the pilot Jelena was literally just posing. The dances that stood out to me were the flashy and inventive dances. The dance in the pool was incredible, the black light dance with the neon and the dance with the red dresses. They made for great visuals, I think the dancing improved throughout the season. The final dance of the season at the game I thought was pretty good and it didn't need any of the flash that I thought propelled the other numbers.

Best moments from the season:
-Freaking Kyle (pouring water on Ahsha and her feelings, almost giving a dead guy a lap dance, tearing out Lexi's weave, her book of future men, basically all of her lines)
-Finally meeting Mia (even if it was a bit anticlimactic).
-Ahsha's February calendar dance.
-Raquel filming Jessie getting fucked.
-Lexi's an "Exotic dancer".
-The king of irony - Kyle being married (to Jason Lewis, amazing).
-"Will you...take back your drugs" - Terrance "proposes" to Jelena with a bottle of the drugs she used to fail his test.

SEASON GRADE: B

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...