Sunday, November 29, 2015

X Factor UK: Top 5 Live Show (GIRLS & BOYS)


LOUISA JOHNSON
This was clearly a tough week for Louisa. Her voice wasn't in tip top shape but she still sounded better on her worse day than I (and probably everyone else who's been eliminated from the competition) would on their best day. I was so happy that her song choices were both very current and they showed some variety in her. Her first performance showed off a younger side to her, not just because she tackled a Justin Bieber song, but despite being ill she still managed to give a believable and fun performance. Obviously her vocals suffered. She sounded pretty tired when she hit the chorus and she sort of botched the last note, but it wasn't her fault and you could see how pissed she was at herself that she lost her way at the end. But I think right before that when she hit the key change and was in her upper register it was the best part of the song. (7.5/10) Her second song got me in my feelings because I still miss Josh Daniel so much. That was the only bad part because she absolutely smashed the vocal. I think she was a little shaken up from the performance from before because there was almost no vocal mistep in this one and you could really feel the emotion as she the camera allowed you to see her face, it actually seemed genuine this week. I guess she was doing all the fluttery eye stuff last week because her eyes naturally close or something because I could barely see her eyes this week but it was more genuine. She may have botched one note, but you could barely tell because everything else was executed so flawlessly. (8.5/10) She had a rough night but she's an absolute powerhouse even when sick. Amazing. (Overall night grade: 8/10)

LAUREN MURRAY
Lauren is so funny not knowing her song and asking the crowd "Do...do you know what this song is?" I thought that the beginning of the song was a little bit to high of a key for her but she eventually found her comfort in the song and for the first time I think she had a perfect vocal performance. She looked absolutely gorgeous and she seemed to be in her element because she didn't look nervous like she usually does. The only problem for me was that the song felt like it didn't really go anywhere. Like it was beautiful but it just stayed there and didn't really shoot up into amazing or have a real moment, it just stayed pretty good. What's up with having all of the performers perform off of the stage? Lauren's face was so funny when Simon was giving his critique and when Nick said "You can sing anything," she was like, "Okay, yeah, thanks. Because yeah. I was great." I love her. I love Rita saying she isn't fake because Lauren is...unapologetically Lauren. (7.5/10) The sass was absolutely off the charts with her second song. Her phrasing was absolutely gorgeous and it looked like she was having actual fun on stage! She's been great these past few week but...the song choices have just been putting a damper on how perky she usually is. But it was so great seeing her take a midtemp song and seeing her just stand there and get consumed by the song. It felt like she was telling a story and midway through the song I felt myself getting goosebumps. This might have been her best performance in the competition so far. I would love it if this was a record she were to put out because I would buy it in a heartbeat, this was her best performance so far, to me. (9/10) "Girl powaaa!" After Simon complimented her, she was like "Yes bitch, thank you, I deserve it." I love Lauren. (Overall night grade: 8.5/10)

CHE CHESTERMAN
Let's get this out of this way. Out of everyone, I was looking forward to Che the most. He was in the bottom last week, so I thought he was going to come out of the gate swinging but it was as if the gate swung open and Che was late to the opening of it. Simon was right, Che just seems like he had to work in the morning but he promised his sister he'd perform at the charity event she's throwing so he threw something on right quick and looks tired as heck. I was ready to have my edges snatched by Che, he was supposed to have me begging for the strength to make it outside tomorrow morning...but no. I think it's a little underwhelming because we all expected Che to have has best week in the competition but it turned out to be his worst. One thing I can say about him forgetting about have of the song is how beautifully he covered it up. His runs over the parts where there should have been words were absolutely gorgeous and if you're looking for the positive, he created a gorgeous new melody to an already gorgeous song. Okay, so he remembered the words to the second half. That should have been amazing, right? Think: Idina Menzel at the Oscars in 2014. It felt as if the song was at a confusing pace and Che wasn't sure how the timing was supposed to go and it felt as if he was right under all of the right notes because he was flat the rest of the song. His vocals were beautiful for the most part but the first half made him loose his confidence so it took what should have been the best performance of the season into just, eh, okay. (4.5/10) I rolled my eyes when I heard he was doing this song because I feel like he's been doing this song for the best four weeks. A soulful song that he just oversings for the most part. And this was sort of that, but he added in a bit of a growl. Whenever his notes were meant to be held out, he was so flat, I just wanted to cry because we all know he could absolutely crushed this song. The only part he was mostly on key for was the beginning and when he went into his head voice. The run at the end was absolutely amazing though. (7/10) Che's laugh is the best thing I've seen in my life, I loved his face when Nick came up to high five him. (Overall night grade: 6/10)

Louisa look like someone stole her Cheerios in the house on
Monday and she still hasn't gotten over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...