Sunday, April 3, 2016

MUSIC REVIEW: Parson James "The Temple EP"



After Trent Harmon performed the hell out of "Waiting Game" this past Thursday on Idol (check out my review of the show here!), I thought it would be the perfect time to review Parson James' debut EP.  I discovered James the day "The Temple EP" came out and instantly fell in love with all of the songs on the EP. It's a great, fresh body of work that soars thanks to the smoothness of James' voice. He has a very commercial and marketable voice so at this point I'm just waiting for the moment for him to blow up because he is wickedly talented. That being said, I definitely think his music is what you would consider "safe" music that you'd hear mostly played on Radio Disney. But if Parson James was on Radio Disney, I wouldn't change the station until he was done blessing me with that voice.


01. TEMPLE
Upbeat, catchy, this song basically encompasses everything I love about Parson. His voice is silky smooth, the song gives you something to dance to and it's the perfect opener to the EP. (8/10)

02. SLOW DANCE WITH THE DEVIL 
From the reggae influence to that minor chord towards the end of the chorus what isn't there to like about this track? I was slow dancing with the devil while I typed this review, while listening to this song. (7.5/10)

03. SINNER LIKE YOU
Does this song sound familiar to anyone? It was my initial connection to the album because this song was used to promote the first half of season two of If Loving You Is Wrong. The chorus just comes off as epic to me. The use of the piano and the heavy drum that accompanies it just takes it up a notch. (8.5/10)

04. STOLE THE SHOW
This is the type of song The CW would play on 90210 or The Vampire Diaries back in 2011. Not that it's a bad thing, in fact half of my albums on iTunes are from the heydays of The CW. It's similar to "Stay" by Rihanna, I think it's similar in it's melody and the demeanor of it's message. It's beautiful. (8/10)

05. WAITING GAME
Ironically, this song "Stole the Show". I'm a sucker for a power ballad as much of the next guy. I just love the intimacy of a piano and a raw, beautiful vocal. This song gives me both of those things. On top of that the song is just beautifully written and you can hear the emotion pouring out of James' voice.  (9.5/10)

EP GRADE: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...