Monday, November 30, 2015

The Voice US: Top 10 Live Show (TEAM ADAM)


SHELBY BROWN

Although she didn't get the pimp spot, I love the fact that she did a ballad this week because her voice is so strong it was amazing to actually allow her to let it go free and not take a back seat to the big production she usually goes for.  She looked great and the church windows/glass made for beautiful scenery behind her. I thought she started off with a little bit of an annunciation issue but as the song progressed she seemed to get a little more comfortable with the song and her voice gradually picked up steam. Once again, like every week, every time she belted out a note or held a note out for a few seconds, her gorgeous and strong voice was highlighted. I think it was probably the most emotional she's ever been on the show, but for some reason I didn't feel it as much as I wished I did. Maybe it was the song choice, I just don't know if it created enough of a moment for her to get through the big elimination cut, but it was pretty good. (7.5/10)


AMY VACHAL
When I heard Amy was doing "Bye Bye Bye" I knew they were going to arrange the hell out of it and make it sound absolutely amazing. She hit it on the nose when she said how catchy it was because just hearing the little blurbs of it, I was so excited to see her sing it. The staging was gorgeous, as beautiful. Once again, the song was perfectly arranged in her range and she looked flawless up there as she walked through that wooden tent. I think she is coming into her own as a performer because it had a sort of subtle energy to it. The rearrangement was pretty good. I liked how they kind of gave it a blue-grass feel to it with the guitar and the drums in the background. The bridge was gorgeous, as it limited itself to her vocals, harmonies and the piano. Then the drums kicked back in before the end, allowing the song to end on an upbeat (yet, hauntingly sad note) at the end as the last chord ended on a "minor" note. Not minor minor, but musically minor. I loved this. (8.5/10)

JORDAN SMITH

I was so frightened when 9 o'clock hit and I didn't see a performance from Jordan Smith. I was so scared they were going to once again throw him until the end of the show, but they plopped him in the middle. Let's talk about the song choice. I didn't see it for the song choice. I thought it was a very safe song choice (because this is Jordan and obviously his voice would sound gorgeous on this vocals heavy song) and...while it's not an overdone song on these competitions, I think it's just one of those songs that you sort of groan when you hear the person is going to do it because "ugh, how many ways can you sing this song." But once again, he shut me up, because this was kind of the perfect song for him as he explained a little about his journey in the clip package. I want Jordan, like Adam said, to have an arc on the show and go up every week but these song choices are just keeping him at that "great" level every week, and if he stays at great, his great is going to just look "good" then his good is just going to be "boring." Vocally, obviously it was an absolutely stunning performance where he showed off his stunning voice, amazing control, his range and ugh, that vibrato. He hit a few surprise runs and his falsetto was amazing. I don't feel like the song "went" anywhere. That being said that place it stayed at was amazing. (8.5/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...