Monday, May 23, 2016

The Voice 10: Top 4 Report Card (FINALS!)


Disclaimer: All these opinions are clearly subjective and I am in no way affiliated with The Voice or any other corporation.

Last season I was getting the blog up and going so this time around I'm trying out a new format. Instead of using numbers, I'll be using letter grade for the performance "report cards" at the bottom of the post. The report card is basically a ranking of all the contestants who performed tonight. Anyways, on with the show!

This was a little bit of a let down. There were some pretty good performances but there wasn't anything absolutely breathtaking. Eh.

On with the review of the performances:
SOLOS:
LAITH AL-SAADI (TEAM ADAM)
"White Room"
What is there to say, really? Typical Laith. Vocals were solid, he did look a little small compared to the big, empty stage. But that guitar solo at the end had me everywhere! B+

HANNAH HUSTON (TEAM PHARRELL)
"Every Breath You Take"
It took me until halfway through the song to get into it but when I did I absolutely loved this performance. It played to Hannah's strength of emotionally connecting with the material, the vocal control was great and when she let loose it was awesome. That last "you" had me on the edge of my seat. A-


ADAM WAKEFIELD (TEAM BLAKE)
"When I Call Your Name"
Um, three cheers for modulation? I liked his performance but when he rose the key the performance reached a whole knew level. His voice was wicked and like last week he tapped into those emotions that just uplift the soulfulness of his voice. Everything he performs sounds like he wrote it.   A-


ALISAN PORTER (TEAM CHRISTINA)
"Somewhere"
Alisan played this finale like a master. I honestly thought both of her solos were among two of the only performances that truly felt like finale songs. Alisan definitely left her soul out there with that performance and I thought that it was a solid way to close out the season. B+



COUCH DUETS:
ADAM W. & BLAKE
"The Conversation"
I always feel weird about writing about country performances because I'm not a country fan so I feel like my biases always creep in. Adam sounded great and Blake sounded alright and they had a nice little groove going. They both looked really, really uncomfortable to me though. But Adam's always given me a little bit of a cold shoulder so, eh.  C

LAITH & ADAM L.
"Melody"
I really don't know what to say about this other than it was solid. I thought it was cool to see Adam and Laith finally get to play with each other on stage after all the rehearsal sessions and Adam not shutting up about how much he respects Lath's musicianship, haha. B

ALISAN & CHRISTINA
"You've Got a Friend"
I think it's ironic that Christina and Alisan found each other. Christina has been known in recent years for her over singing (to the point where her voice can get jarring) and Alisan is known for oversinging on this show. But this performance worked for the opposite reason. They both held back and it allowed their vocals and their chemistry to shine. I thought it was a beautiful performance (aside from that last high note because someone was just under the note but not quite there, haha). A-


HANNAH & PHARRELL
"Brand New'"
I actually love these goofballs. Vocally, it was rough. Not on Hannah's part, I thought she sounded fine. I've never really pegged Pharrell for a vocalist so it didn't surprise me that his vocals kind of brought the performance down a little. His stage presence was a hilarious contrast to Hannah's because there were parts where he was feeling the groove with her but she looked like she was too busy trying to remember the words or get the note to come out. Pharrell brought the fun and Hannah brought the vocals. It was a fun performance. C+

ORIGINAL SONGS:
ALISAN PORTER
"Down That Road"
This would be a really, really good coronation song for Alisan and The Voice. It's just the right amount of cheesiness in the lyrics that Alisan's strong voice and delivery can balance out. B+



ADAM WAKEFIELD
"Lonesome Broken and Alone"
Not much to say here, it's a  catchy song that I can see Adam performing tomorrow night should he win. This goes without saying but his voice sounded great and was hefty enough to carry the song through from the beginning to end. It sounded like a country hit. B

LAITH AL-SAADI
"Morning Light"
I really don't know what more to say about Laith. Great song, he sung it great. I thought the melody was great, it made the guitar solo he did even more rewarding because the music behind him was absolutely killer. I could honestly listen to the instrumental of this without the vocals and like it just as much. B+


HANNAH HUSTON
"I Call The Shots"
I LOVE SEEING PHARRELL PRODUCE. He's repetitive as a coach but he knows so much about music it must be so cool to have Pharrell produce your first mainstream single. I wasn't too crazy about the song but I thought she took control of that stage and she very comfortable. B

PERFORMANCE REPORT CARD (SOLOS):
08. Hannah Huston - I Call the Shots B-
07. Adam Wakefield - Lonesome Broke and Alone B
06. Laith Al-Saadi - White Room B+
05. Laith Al-Saadi - Morning Light B+
04. Alisan Porter - Down That Road B+
03. Alisan Porter - Somewhere B+
02. Adam Wakefield - When I Call Your Name A-
01. Hannah Huston - Every Breath You Take A- 

PERFORMANCE REPORT CARD (DUETS):
04. Adam & Blake - The Conversation C
03. Hannah & Pharrell - Brand New C+
02. Laith & Adam - Melody B
01. Alisan & Christina - You've Got a Friend A-

OVERALL REPORT CARD:
04. Adam Wakefield B- (Last week's position: #5 // +1) 
03. Hannah Huston B (Last week's position: #4 // +1) 
02. Laith Al-Saadi B+ (Last week's position: #3 // +1) 
01. Alisan Porter B+ (Last week's position: #6 // +5)

PREDICTIONS:
PERSONAL TOP 4:  
04. Adam Wakefield
03. Alisan Porter
02. Laith Al-Saadi
01. Hannah Huston

PERSONAL PREDICTION:  
04. Laith Al-Saadi
03. Hannah Huston
02. Adam Wakefield
01. Alisan Porter

AMERICA'S PREDICTION: 
04. Laith Al-Saadi
03. Hannah Huston 
02. Alisan Porter
01. Adam Wakefield Hannah Huston

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...