Wednesday, May 25, 2016

The Voice 10: Season Finale Recap


Disclaimer: All these opinions are clearly subjective and I am in no way affiliated with The Voice or any other corporation.



Ironically, the two shows that I've been recapping for the past few months had their finales last night at the same time (ugh). I made the decision to watch If Loving You Is Wrong because that show's just more fun to live tweet and The Voice was inevitably just going to be two hours of performances I probably wouldn't be into. My plan was to watching ILYIW until 10:30, then skim through The Voice for the last half hour. But apparently something was conflicting on the DVR so the first 90 minutes of the show just didn't tape. The devil tried me but I was just hoping two see two things on The Voice. I wanted to see Ariana Grande perform and I wanted to see a female winner crowned and I got BOTH of my wishes (because they saved Ariana for the end).

Without further adieu, the winner of The Voice 10 is Alisan Porter!

2nd place: Adam Wakefield
3rd place: Hannah Huston
4th place: Laith Al-Saadi

I know I've said some things about Alisan during her time on the show about how she just screams, or little trivial stuff like that. One thing I have never taken away from that woman is her ability to perform and that big voice she has on her. Every week since I begun capping the show she has left everything she has on that stage. She's a hard worker, she seems like a great person and she has a rare and beautiful talent. I stated from the beginning how much I wanted a girl winner and here we go! Congrats, Alisan! (It softened the burn of Hannah not winning)

As for the rest of the show, I was pleased with what I saw. The Voice woke up and cut out that Whitney Houston hologram thing they were planning and I can't blame them. I watched a snippet of it and, while their (Whitney & Christina) voices sounded absolutely beautiful together, it looked like someone drew Whitney with an Etch A Sketch. And The Voice shook away that performance right quick. Ariana Grande and Christina were GREAT together, it was a great way to end the show. The group performances were alright but I have no idea why Nick Hagelin's falsetto was invited back to the stage. Sia was perfect as usual, I still don't know how I feel about ZAYN's album but I really like his voice, even though that performance was about to give me a seizure with all them damn lights in my face. 

We're also going to take this moment to just praise Hannah Huston for being Hannah Huston. Clearly she was my choice to win, but everything about her has just been so refreshing this season. First off, nearly every week she took songs that were typically overdone on these type of singing shows (I Can't Make You Love Me, Rolling in the Deep, When a Man Loves a Woman) and the rich tone of her voice, the emotions she put into each performance just made them all feel like a breath of fresh air. I lived for every performance she ended with that face that just read "girl, thanks, I thought I was going to vomit". Her goofy personality, the growth of her stage presence, and her relationship with Pharrell was just asdfghjkl; (but all the coaches relationships with their artists were just as nice to watch). Ugh, she also had my favorite two contestant performances of the night (Crazy & When We Were Young).

^All of that is not to take away from Adam Wakefield's killer, killer, killer (like I'm dead) voice. His tone is so rich, full and soulful that it lit up the stage whenever he performed (because regardless of how I feel about country music or how boring/similar his performances were, his voice never faltered). And Laith unapologetically being himself week in and week out always keeping it entertaining and remaining true to himself (and those gritty, real vocals).

Right now I'd personally like to thank everyone who's kept up with my reviews for this season (and last season)! It's been a fun, annoying, emotional ride with The Voice and this post officially ends singing show season (for me at least) until the fall. This summer I'll be capping The Bachelorette, The Haves and the Have Nots and possibly Greenleaf on OWN so I'll still be around!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...