Thursday, March 31, 2016

American Idol 15: Top 3 Recap/Rankings



So this is really happening, Idol is coming to a close. That was the last time we'll get to see the home visits, the last time Jennifer gets the goosies and (hopefully) the last time Keith says something irrelevant that Harry's already said. I didn't really start to get the feels until the final moments of the episode but I'm really, really going to miss this show.



ROUND 1: HOMETOWN DEDICATION
MACKENZIE BOURG
"Hallelujah"
One thing I respect about MacKenzie are the vocal choices he makes in order to get a song to fit into his range. It's not that limited, and he's tested it on occasion. He can definitely go "there," I just happen to not really like it when he goes there. His voice sounded good and it was the intimate, yet somehow powerful, type of performance that MacKenzie has learned to master throughout his time on the show (7/10).

DALTON RAPATTONI
"Calling You"
Here's the point of the night where I typically spit out some bull crap about how he's a great performer but his voice isn't as good as everyone makes it out to be. Blah, blah, blah.It was nice to see him happy and smiling again this week. It's ironic that the softer parts of the song were his weakest because last week he thrived on singing softer and with more feeling. I guess the feeling just wasn't there but it was an alright performance (6/10).

TRENT HARMON
"Tennessee Whiskey"
Give me a minute to get over that little girl doing the dap. Under any different circumstances, I would never listen to a song called "Tennessee Whiskey." That's no shade to the song, it's just not my style. Plus it's called "Tennessee Whiskey". But after Trent did his thing to this song tonight? The look he gave me, that vibrato, THOSE RUNS? The blues elements, the country elements were perfectly combined with his soulful voice. I just couldn't have asked Trent to perform this song better (8/10).

LA'PORSHA RENAE
"Glory"
Based on everything we've seen from La'Porsha this season, her + such a powerful song wasn't going to not be epic. I mean, Keith said it best: We all just got baptized. An impeccable vocal performance, stellar presentation of the song, there's not much to say besides she killed it (9/10).

ELIMINATION:
Okay, so...I don't know why Ryan Seacrest said "bottom two" because La'Porsha wasn't in the bottom two. I refuse to believe that. But, eh, I genuinely felt sorry for MacKenzie going home. Not that he wasn't the weakest performer last week but he's a really talented guy that peaked too early and kind of sunk into the background. But hey, he got eliminated in the first live show when he was on The Voice and he made it to the second to last week of American Idol, that's a pretty impressive feat. He has nothing but a bright and shiny future in front of him.




ROUND 2: SCOTT BORCHETTA'S CHOICE
DALTON RAPATTONI
"Dancing in the Dark"
That's where we disagree Scott, I haven't been too found of Dalton's big and flashy performances. They're entertaining, sure, and play to his clear and defined "strengths" but he has a lot more to offer than just the rock thing. Or maybe I'm just being a bitch because I prefer when he chills out and JLo doesn't look like she's sitting on a vibrator. I thought it was a good performance though and his voice wasn't bad either (7/10).


LA'PORSHA RENAE
"Stay with Me"
Why wasn't she set on the song from the get go if she was going to sing it like that? Is there a better term for pure, unfiltered and raw soul? The frustration and pain that she jolted into the song came pouring out even if she wasn't really feeling it because she could have fooled me. Everything about La'Porsha is perfect, the way she flat out told Harry she doesn't believe in the song and she'd never tell a woman to beg...go girl, come through!! (8/10)


TRENT HARMON
"Drink You Away"
To be quite honest, I'm not really sure how I felt about the performance. On one hand, the beginning of the performance didn't work for me. It felt like his song didn't really fit to the song, but strangely he was still singing the mess out of it. Does that make sense? He was singing extremely well but I didn't think his voice fit the song in the first half. Now by the time he got to the second half, he was singing all up down and around it and his voice found it's groove so I think he got a successful performance out of it (7/10).

I'm sure Kieth did a great job performing under those American flag ass strobe lights.


ROUND 3: JUDGE'S CHOICE
DALTON RAPATTONI
"Everybody Wants to Rule the World"
I weirdly loved this performance. The beginning with him in the audience, seemingly possessed, was genius as he crept his way onto the stage just as the chorus hit. While he sounded alright for the most part, some of the decisions he made didn't work out because he sounded out of breath and his lower register was not working for me. I guess it was the key? (7.5/10)

LA'PORSHA RENAE
"Hello"
What else do you want me to say about her? She La'Porsha'd the hell out of it and I love what Jennifer pointed out. La'Porsha is an amazing singer but she has a very thin vocal range and it was interesting to hear her stretch herself. It resulted in a beautiful vocal performance, as usual, even though it felt a little lackluster because she could have definitely done more (8.5/10).

TRENT HARMON
"Waiting Game"
Parson James + Trent Harmon = (Heart eye emoji). This was a beautiful stripped back performance that contrasted to the rest of his performances of the night. His falsetto is always so beautiful, but there was something about the simplicity of the song that added a little something to the performance (9/10).



RANKINGS:
Performances:
10. Dalton Rapattoni (Calling You) (6/10)
09. MacKenzie Bourg (Hallelujah) (7/10)
08. Dalton Rapattoni (Dancing In the Dark) (7/10)
07. Trent Harmon (Drink You Away) (7/10) 
06. Dalton Rapattoni (Everybody Wants to Rule the World) (7.5/10) 
05. La'Porsha Renae (Stay With Me) (8/10)
04. Trent Harmon (Tennessee Whiskey) (8/10) 
03. La'Porsha Renae (Hello) (8.5/10)
02. La'Porsha Renae (Glory) (9/10)
01. Trent Harmon (Waiting Game) (9/10)

Who Won Each Round?

Round 1 - La'Porsha Renae
Round 2 - La'Porsha Renae
Round 3 - Trent Harmon

Overall night:
04. MacKenzie Bourg (6.5/10) (Last week's position: #4// 00)
03. Dalton Rapattoni (8/10) (Last week's position: #2// -1)
02. Trent Harmon (8/10) (Last week's position: #1// -1)
01. La'Porsha Renae (8.5/10) (Last week's position: #3//+2)

My finale still consists of La'Porsha and Trent. That's all I really have to say.

Who I Send Home:
Dalton

Who America Sends Home:
Dalton

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...