Thursday, March 24, 2016

Survivor: American Idol Edition (Top 5)


Welcome to Survivor: American Idol edition! Just a quick disclaimer that everything down below are my personal opinions. I'm in no way affiliated with any corporation, especially Idol or Fox.



How artistic.
What is Survivor? Alright, so I do recaps of performances for various singing shows and I give my two cents but Survivor is where I put my ten cents in and try and give the contestants a bit of advice (even though they're clearly not reading this) about what they can do to stay in the competition. 

Everything down below is not only referring to said contestant's previous performance, but their overall history in the competition. Pros and Cons are just what you'd think and the Verdict is basically what I think they can do to get through to the next round and whether or not I think they're safe or not. On to Survivor!

DALTON RAPATTONI
Pros: ...Alright, here we go. Um, unique. He looks like he's famous already. His performances are most definitely more lively and entertaining than 50% of his counterparts on this season of Idol. He'll have no problem getting signed, his eyes haven't gone blind from leaving in his eyeliner overnight...all good things.

Cons: His voice isn't as...strong...as the judges seem to think or want us to believe it is? His voice isn't bad, it just gets a little shrill when he goes for the higher notes (which he usually does). I mean, girl, at least he's not out here intentionally screaming off pitch like James Durbin.

Verdict: I don't want to feel the way I do about him because he seems really cool and I love hearing him and seeing him talk. His performances aren't really my style, it's not that they're bad. Please believe he's nowhere near bad, I just have trouble watching or listening to a genre of music that I just don't have any interest in, which is the main reason why I can't with The Voice and all of it's country singers. I wouldn't be surprised if he was in the bottom two, goes home, or is safe, nor would I really feel strong emotions either way. I think he's going to pass through to the top four, though.

LA'PORSHA RENAE
Pros: La'Porsha clearly is the strongest vocalist in the competition. Her range may not be as wide as Trent's, but she sings just a technically good as Sonika, and with just as much emotion as MacKenzie and can perform just as well as Dalton can. How did La'Porsha top "Diamonds"? She did this.

Cons: Con? Girl, how dare you. Did you see "No More Drama"? (If you didn't, leave my weak ass blog and watch this!!)

Verdict: I hope I don't jinx it by saying it out loud, but she's this season's version of Candace Glover. You threw a steak into a pile of chicken wings. There are some great performers, sure, but just as with Candace Glover, La'Porsha has NOT missed a beat. She has had several moments and several performances that could be written into the history books as some of the best Idol performances of all time. She's safe. And if she isn't then I'll see you guys later when The Voice goes live because...what would be the point?

MACKENZIE BOURG
Pros: "You got me feeling emotions." It feels like he's singing the song to you when he's singing it. I'm sure I've made this comparison before but he's the spiritual succeeder to Alex Preston. Unique voice (it's not as strong as Alex', but it's beautiful when he's in the right octave), solid performer and he seems really, really nice (although he loses in a personality contest against Dalton, tbh...but this isn't a personality contest).

Cons: Uh, idk? His voice is unique, yeah, but I don't really know if I'm that big of a fan of it when he does "too much" with it. I don't know if anyone else gets what that means but less is more with MacKenzie (see: "Billie Jean").

Verdict: Fan base. Nice guy. Adorkable guy. White guy. Safe guy.

SONIKA VAID
Pros: (Third times, but...) Beautiful voice, beautiful face, beautiful gowns (literally almost every week except last week). Her voice is wicked, it's soft and smooth as butter.

Cons: ...Which brings me to the con. Her voice is beautiful, but she picks songs that are epic and big and those songs expose the weaknesses in her gorgeous voice. It simply isn't powerful enough (yet) for "I Have Nothing" and "Let it Go". Those songs call for emotion and power, two key things that Sonika just hasn't developed yet. (I say that based on everything she's done recently, I don't know what happened to her when she decided to let everything go during "Bring Me to Life" but we want (and she needs) that Sonika back.

Verdict: I personally think she's going home. She peaked way too early. If I were her, I would have taken advantage of the shorter span of the live shows and done ballads for all the weeks there were only one performance and then tried to experiment with getting out of her comfort zone while having one of her softer and prettier songs to fall back on later in the night. I hope she doesn't go home because it's never too late to save yourself (unless you're in the bottom two, of course), but I'm not holding my breath.

TRENT HARMON
Pros: He can do no wrong. Take his performance of "Counting Stars" last week. Was it his worst performance to date? Yes. Was it still miles above most of the performances we've seen so far this season? Yes ma'am. His voice can just defy gravity, his range is incredible, his tone is unique, and he has absolutely mastered how to walk you around the emotion/true meaning of a song (see: "Simple Man", please see it...).

Cons: Okay, yeah, "Counting Stars" was fine...but I don't want to get used to seeing Trent jumping around on a stage trying to do the most in order to sell us something phony while he's performing. He's had a method so far and it's kept him around to the top five so I think as long as he continues to grow as the competition he is absolutely set to pair up with La'Porsha in that finale I'm begging for.

Verdict: Like I've been doing so far, I'm just going to speak it into existence and say that he's safe this week. He's really solid so I hope the public don't knock him down for one misstep in a sea of not-missteps. Wonderful steps. Beautiful steps. I "luh" Trent so much, bro.


FINAL PREDICTIONS:
Bottom Two (I assume that's how they're doing it?): Sonika & Dalton
Eliminated: (Pains me to say it, but...) Sonika 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...