Wednesday, February 24, 2016

American Idol 15: Top 14 Recap/Rankings




Well wasn't that just extremely underwhelming? My theory for this season of Idol is that as soon as they get rid of basically everyone I ranked past tonight's top five, everything will be fine. There are some true gems is this group of contestants but lord there some extreme stinkers. To start the night off, the judges (great...) picked four people to automatically pass through to the top ten. My personal four would have been La'Porsha, Sonika, Mackenzie and Avalon (maybe Dalton). I wasn't mad at who they picked to advance, however. Trent and Olivia were pleasant surprises and deserved to go through.

10. JENEVE ROSE MITCHELL
"Ring of Fire"
Harry, I hear things in her voice that I DON'T get. Jeneve is just way too much for me. I think she over pronounces, her facial expressions are ridiculously over the top. She tries to sell that vibrato and falsetto and I'm not buying it. I'm buying a hoverboard, girl. I don't want her to get through if I have to sit through this every week. If I get to sit through her dancing around like a socially awkward mop every week like with Scotty in their duet, then we're straight and she can do whatever the hell she wants (3/10).
09. TRISTAN McINTOSH
"What Hurts the Most"
I just don't like country music. Sorry. And I don't really like Tristan's voice so I wasn't too hype about her singing a song that made her voice vulnerable. Once again, great, she's a person of color singing country music. Once again, I don't care because she's incredibly basic. Her belts were pitchy and it was as if she was over-acting the song just to show us that she had some connection to it or make it emotional (4/10).

08. THOMAS STRINGFELLOW
"Story Of My Life"
Guys, did you forget his girlfriend broke up with him right before he had to perform that one time? Because shockingly, they reminded us. First things first, the performance was actually pretty decent through the first half but by the time the chorus hit, the squeaks hit me like a brick house. Thomas Squeakfellow is in the building, ladies and gentleman. But in a big twist of events, one of the judges actually gave good advice and Harry told him to cut it out with the squeaking because it's annoying. THANK YOU HARRY. Man, I wish I could grade the performance solely based off of that one piece of judgement. But it's funnier if I just don't, so (5/10).

07. GIANNA ISABELLA
"I Put A Spell On You"
"I feel like I've gotten more professional." You haven't. The irony of her song choice because she's most definitely put a spell on the judges. I honestly didn't like this the first time because I believe her voice was and is absolutely wrong for the song. She has a nice voice but there's a certain type of oomf you have to bring to this song that she just didn't the first time. This time around, it was a little better and I agreed with Jennifer that the sass was most definitely there and welcomed with open arms. Remember in Season 12 when Lazaro did awful every week and was in the Bottom 2? When he finally did eh, he was in the Top 3 votes for the night or something ridiculous like that. I feel like this might be the case tonight? Maybe? I don't know. I honestly thought this was not terrible (for a Gianna performance) (6.5/10). Oh, side note, of course Jennifer was the one to speak and of course she had to tell her that she was her next pick because she's friends with her mom.

06. JENN BLOSIL
"True Colors"
Who gave Elsa permission to do Jenn's eyebrows? What was that? Performance wise, the first half was painfully pitchy. The highlights of the performance are what she excels in: being a story teller. Her emotions are so naturally woven into all of her performance and you can tell how passionate she is about her craft. Her belting was gorgeous, but I feel like the performance was just much too short in order to get the full effect. The performance was really imbalanced with it's good and bad qualities. I'd love to see her go through because she's awesome, but I really want her to step her game up (6.5/10).

his gif just refuses to work.
05. MANNY TORRES
"Master Blaster"
I was going to say I didn't like him doing the song again, but then Ryan popped out like a mole and announced that they were singing songs that were their favorite moment from the season. Manny's been my favorite so far because of the energy he brings on and solid vocals, but tonight it was as if everything just contradicted itself for me. I thought he sacrificed a LOT of the vocal part of the song for the performance part of the song. I'm not sure, the performance just felt a little off to me. It was a cool performance to open the show up with and it wasn't bad, just not as good as I have come to expect from Manny (7/10).

04. SONIKA VAID
"I Surrender"
Sonika has the perfect voice. Albeit, the performance was a little on the too theatrical side with those hand motions, she has a little bit of Celine in her. There are just the little things in her voice that I appreciate so much, the little runs she does are beautiful. I think that even though she was a bit robotic on stage that I felt the most emotions out of her than I ever have before (7.5/10).


his gif just doesn't exist, but he looks the same every perform-
ance anyways, so big whoop.
03. LEE JEAN
"Make It Rain"
Okay, I won't blame Lee for doing another Ed Sheeran song because it wasn't his fault that the theme was "memorable moments." He's literally only sung Ed Sheeran songs aside from the time he was forced to sing a Chris Daughtry song. That being said, Sheeran's music is perfect for Lee's voice. He, much like Avalon and Mackenzie, actually looks comfortable on stage like this is where he belongs and not where he's doing his high school talent show. I preferred this to the first time he performed it vocally because it sounded like they were being auto tuned when I watched the Hollywood Week Showcase. Performance wise, I kind of thought it would be funny for him to shush the audience again, haha. But whatever, it was still good (8.5/10).


02. MACKENZIE BOURG
"Roses"
ORIGINAL SONG? GOOD FOR YOU BABY. Mackenzie looks like the love child of Barry Allen and Harry Wells, seriously. I don't know if I said this before but I am getting really, really strong Alex Preston vibes from him. Looking at him when he's singing is beautiful because he just looks absolutely consumed. I'm pretty sure I saw his eyes roll back in happiness at one point. That falsetto is what literally everyone else in the world should be praying for tonight (9/10).

01. AVALON YOUNG
"Yo (Excuse Me Miss)"
"How y'all doin'? HOW Y'ALL DOING?!" Avalon is absolutely perfect. Her stage presence is out of this world. Her stage presence is out of this world, unlike most of the other young contestants, she looks like a veteran on that stage. Harry spoke so much in the auditions about a "bookend" for the show. End the show with someone winning who can be as successful as Kelly, the original Idol. Avalon is a very, very viable R&B/Soul singer. She is extremely underrated, great job once again (9/10).


Yeah, screw it, I'm going to make predictions because how can I not? Also, thanks to American Idol for the gifs!
MY TOP 6 (to advance):
1) Avalon
2) Mackenzie
3) Sonika
4) Lee
5) Jenn
6) Manny

AMERICA'S TOP 6 (to advance, just predictions):
1) Avalon
2) Mackenzie
3) Sonika
4) Lee
5) Thomas
6) Tristan or Jeneve

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...