Sunday, November 15, 2015

X Factor UK: Top 9 Live Show (OVERS)

Maybe I expected too much from the category this week (I'm just being nice, I expected nothing from Anton) but the category was very lackluster this week, unfortunately. Hopefully things can turn around for them.

MAX STONE
I think it was very ironic when Max said that "the audience will have a hard time connecting" when that's literally the only problem I've had with his performances throughout this entire round of live shows. He can sing the shit out of a song, there is absolutely no denying that, but when you look into his eyes during a performance he looks like he's in a hypnotic trance and hasn't been knocked out of it yet. Visually, it was a very stunning performance. It was beautiful actually seeing the "garden" around him and the visual of nature fit the song as well. I thought vocally it wasn't what I've come to expect from Max. The first half of the song was flatter than a pancake and his last note was bordering on flat as well. Aside from that, his vocals soared toward the bridge and the chorus. I agree with Nick when he was telling Max that with a song like that, you have to make us cry. And he just didn't do that. I was on the border of disagreeing with Rita because he didn't look all that comfortable on the stage and Cheryl was spot on when she told him that it sounded good but he looked so freaking bored. Him singing it to his girlfriend was cute, though. I think we've reached the point where I'm such a Max fan that I'm utterly disappointed if I'm not utterly impressed by him every week (like Che and Louisa) so I was a little disappointed but overall it was just fine. 7/10

ANTON STEPHANS
How you doin', Stevie Ritchie? After last weeks performance (and him actually making it through) it's clear that the audience either really like him or really like seeing him make a fool out of himself. Both clear symptoms of the "Stevie Ritchie" syndrome. Anton himself is such a joy to have around. When they rewatched Nick telling him it was like a bad music and he spat bad "There's been worse musicals that that darling...and I've been in them..." you had to laugh. You literally just had to. You have no soul if you don't crack up when he starts laughing at himself and the things he says. Even Max started cracking up. MAX. I absolutely groaned and got excited when I saw he was doing "I Have Nothing." It's such a strong song and Anton has just been royally being a hot mess every week so was scared for him but at the same time it gave him a real chance to have a moment this week. And boy does Anton need a moment especially after last week. I'm sorry but when they closed up on him and he looked like he was on the Wee Sing Train special episode where they lost all the color except for like one. Who's decision was that? He wasn't staring at the camera, which was brilliant because we didn't have to go through another crazy eyes moment with an intimate song (we came close, but the camera was like no bitch and would switch whenever he figured out what camera they were broadcasting from. It was kind of funny and shady). Vocally, it was his best performance since the show started going live. His smile was absolutely infectious throughout the performance. I don't think he hit the high note as well as he could have and it unfortunately wasn't the standout performance of the night like he hoped for. I think that Nick was wrong about the theatrics because they really were great for this performance and how dramatic of a song it actually is. And we need something dramatic without Sean. Rita Ora hit it on the dot because last weeks performance was so terrible that this one looked like gold. 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...