Monday, November 16, 2015

The Voice US: Top 12 Live Show (TEAM PHARRELL)

Team Pharrell had a solid night. Evan was the best of their bunch, although I loved Madi's instrumental track. I think it was just a confusing night for all three of them. Mark was so extra he should be a gum, Madi looked uncomfortable to me and Evan was...well, Evan.

MARK HOOD
Of course he's an actor. Mark is so over the top and wild on stage, I should have known that he's an actor. I let out a groan, as I do a lot when Mark performs, when I heard he was going to be singing Against the Odds. It's such a Mark song to choose. His voice would fit the song gloriously if he didn't do all the over the top, irrelevant, extra crap that he usually does and it was like my thoughts were being carried by Cupid's cousin named Sense and whispered into Pharrell's ear. When he told him that stripped down (and not gospel) would work better I ironically shouted out Hallelujah. Mark has such a beautiful natural voice that is masked by all of this extra stuff that annoys the heck out of me. I think this is as acoustic of a performance we will be getting from him (he's standing with just a mic but making all these poop faces and doing all of these hand motions) this season. I spoke too soon because he went into the audience (to no one) and started having come to Jesus spasms on stage and did his little version of the Mariah hands. He had a really big chance to have a nice and simple moment on the stage but I think he still did too much. Technically it was a very good performance but I just get distracted, but I know that he's very into what he does and passionate about his performance and it's beautiful, in his way. (5/10)

MADI DAVIS
Madi really needs to get out of her own head. The instrumental for this song was brilliant, but while it was amazing she looked so uncomfortable and her phrasing was so freaking weird when she doing her rehearsals. It was nice to see her chill and with a smile on her face but her spoken words came off a little forced (but nothing really compares to Zach's spoken adlibs from last week, right?). Vocally she sounded just as good as she always does, her voice is like butter but she also proved that she can actually hit those belty notes. It was nice to see her out of her comfort zone and with that nice high bun. I think it could have been better, but she didn't disappoint. (6.5/10)

EVAN MCKEEL
I'm glad he was very aware of how strange he looked on stage last week. It wasn't as much strange, as much as he seemed so unnatural on stage. Pharrell was smart to give him another soulful song this week. I think that was shade when Pharrel was like "we have to produce whatever gives us...a natural vocal performance" or something like that. Maybe it wasn't, but either way, I quietly laughed to myself. Every part of him looks like he's having a good time but his face, especially at the beginning. It sort of upstaged his vocals at the beginning (or maybe it was just the distracting Cosby sweater) but I got excited when he started getting into the performance. He started shinning when he ran around the stage but what were those Hotline Bling ass moves he was doing when he just stood there and started dancing to the audience. His vocals were killer this week and made up for any Cosby sweater or Vine dance he was doing. Gwen was right, though, he seemed very free tonight. (7/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...