Saturday, November 12, 2016

#SurvivorSaturday: X Factor UK Edition (Top 7)


Welcome to #SurvivorSaturday: X Factor UK edition! Just a quick disclaimer that everything down below are my personal opinions. I'm in no way affiliated with any corporation, especially X Factor, Syco, or iTV. 

What is Survivor? Alright, so I do recaps of performances for various singing shows and I give my two cents but Survivor is where I put my ten cents in and try and give the contestants a bit of advice (even though they're clearly not reading this) about what they can do to stay in the competition. 

Last season, these posts were simply titled "Survivor", but I'm trying something new out so bare with me! Everything down below is not only referring to said contestant's previous performance, but their overall history in the competition. This is basically what I think they can do to get through to the next round and whether or not I think they're safe or not. On to Survivor!

GIRLS:
EMILY MIDDLEMAS
I do like Emily. I really do. There's just something about her overall performances since live shows begun (save for 'Creep') that have been rubbing me the wrong way. She has a lovely voice but there's just been something really off. I personally would love for her to pick the guitar back up or shake things up because slowing down traditionally upbeat songs will only get you so far in the competition. Ask Abbie Alton.

SAM LAVERY
I hate saying this but I'm starting to lose hope for Sam. Every week she's underperformed and had her worst performance of the season last week. I love her, there's something that I really found compelling before live shows but she's just been letting me down week after week. Honestly, I just thought she had one amazing performance (judges house), so I can't say what I want her to do better because I don't really know what she does well at. Sure, 'Make it Rain' was fantastic because it was moody, haunting and epic but she's had epic songs nearly every week that have fallen flat (figuratively and vocally).

OVERS:
HONEY G
N/A.









SAARA AALTO
Saara is an amazing singer. No question about it. I love how cooky she is, but it might be time to tone it down a little. Her performances have had mad production so far but they might have gone a little too far this week (even if you take away the flashing cultural appropriation in our faces). Maybe a ballad this week? I don't know what she has to do but she has to do it absolutely flawlessly if she wants to be safe again this week. I said it last week, and it proved to be true, if she falls right below magic then she seems to be rejected by the audience.

BOYS:
MATT TERRY
Excellent voice. Flawless vocals. He's just starting to bore me. Louisa was in his spot last year. Fantastic singer. The difference with Louisa was that I felt more connected to her and even when she was belting her ass off it felt very emotional. Last week he felt like a High School Musical tribute act. I don't know what I want him to do but he's just really overrated for me. Who cares, though? He's safe regardless.

RYAN LAWRIE
I'm genuinely confused as to how he's survived three life line votes but I also genuinely really liked his performance last week. When he doesn't look bored he's actually pretty charismatic and he got a chance to shine last week. I hope more performances like that are in his future! 





GROUPS:
5 AFTER MIDNIGHT
Shut the show down. Give them the crown, please. I don't even care that their mentor is Louis. That's how much I love these guys. They are absolute magic when they hit the stage. Even though they're amazing performers/dancers, ironically their best two performances (this past week and Motown week) have been when they keep the production/theatrics to a minimum. Less is more with them. They're naturally charismatic and interesting even when they're just standing there. And their vocals are much tighter as well. Also I've had 'Say You'll Be There' on repeat for six days straight and have no shame about it.

Song spoilers VIA The Sun!
5 AM: Boogie Wonderland
Emily Middlemas: Wishin' on a  Star
Honey G: Stayin' Alive
Matt Terry: Best of My Love
Ryan Lawrie: Play That Funky Music
Saara Aalto: No More Tears (Enough is Enough)
Sam Lavery: I Will Survive

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...