Thursday, March 17, 2016

Survivor: American Idol Edition (Top 6)

Welcome to Survivor: American Idol edition! Just a quick disclaimer that everything down below are my personal opinions. I'm in no way affiliated with any corporation, especially Idol or Fox.

Alright, they're a little cute.
What is Survivor? Alright, so I do recaps of performances for various singing shows and I give my two cents but Survivor is where I put my ten cents in and try and give the contestants a bit of advice (even though they're clearly not reading this) about what they can do to stay in the competition. I did this with The Voice and X Factor but I'm trying out a new format so bare with me. 

Everything down below is not only referring to said contestant's previous performance, but their overall history in the competition. Pros and Cons are just what you'd think and the Verdict is basically what I think they can do to get through to the next round and whether or not I think they're safe or not. On to Survivor!

DALTON RAPATTONI
Pros: Dalton is extremely captivating. If I'm watching a performance of his, even if his music or his voice isn't my style, I just get intrigued. His staging is always impressive, for a show on Idol, and the smoke is always mystifying and that look he gives you with that slept in eyeliner isn't slept on (that made sense if you're under the age of 25).

Cons: He's doing everything right in order to be a contestant on American Idol. That's not very good for me, considering that could push him into a further spot than he's deserving of. Honestly, what constitutes "doing everything right"? Being a semi-attractive white boy who stares into the camera and causes seven thousand girls to go through puberty? I don't know, I think he's very overrated. He's entertaining and a nice guy, so...eh.

Verdict: Ironically, last week I said I gave him too much for his performance of "Radioactive" now I'm saying I didn't give him enough for "Eleanor Rigby." For what he was trying to give us, he absolutely delivered. His vocals weren't completely as strong as I would prefer them to be but his performances are captivating enough to get him to keep sailing by. I think he's safe this week.

LA'PORSHA RENAE
Pros: La'Porsha doesn't have anything to prove. This is her competition to lose. Her journey reminds me of Candice Glover's. She's like a steak in a pile of chicken breasts. She reminded us she's versatile this week and knows how to have a good time on stage. She stunted, she gave Harry a little attention (at the perfect time when she hit the falsetto note) and was just iconic. What else, man, what else?

Cons: What is a con? I know it seems like I'm really playing favorites with her (which I sort of am because she's my favorite) but I honestly can't think of anything wrong she does.

Verdict: ...I mean, it's still La'Porsha's competition to lose. I think she's sailing by to next week unless America had a brain fart or something and that's going to be very unfortunate to my readers considering I'll either stop reviewing or just throw shade at the rest of the remaining contestants. So let's hope La'Porsha stays put for all of our sakes.

MACKENZIE BOURG
Pros: Just when I was out, he pulls me back in. In all honesty, MacKenzie really fixed himself this week in terms of the vocals. It's no secret I love his voice, but he didn't do any of that annoying higher register stuff that I can't stand. Plus, I'll repeat myself: he knows who he is in the competition and you can count on him to stick to that formula in the real music industry. He tossed the guitar to the side and had magical results.

Cons: I just hope he's getting by on talent and not his looks. Or, you know, the fact that he's a white boy. But I'm not going to get too much into this because we don't need another rant out of me unless it's Thursday night and Idol done fucked everything up.

Verdict: He's safe. No doubt. 

SONIKA VAID
Pros: Great gowns, beautiful gowns.

Cons: Sonika is still trying to find herself. And it's the top six. Haley Reinhart found her grove in the top five so it's not like Sonika is just SOL, she still has an amazing voice. Her problem is she has no idea where her voice sounds it's strongest and she has no idea how to connect to any of her songs emotionally. When you're singing "I Have Nothing," we need to hear the pain in her voice. Her rendition was similar to that of a lullaby. Her voice IS strong enough to cover the song, she just didn't sing it at the right time and even though the vocal was near perfect...

Verdict: ...I don't know if she did enough to save herself. I hope she did enough because she more than deserves to sale through to the next week but only time will tell. America gets bored very easily, unfortunately. I'm hoping the duet did her some good grace because that was much better than this.

TRENT HARMON
Pros: He's consistent, you can always count on him and La'Porsha to deliver solid performances. His voice is it's own pro. Trent is a pro at connecting to a song and making you feel something when you watch him perform. He's got that old school flare (that La'Porsha has too) that reminds you what Idol has done for the music industry.

Cons: I...I can't do it. Still. Um, he seems a little underrated and that's never good but maybe I'm wrong. I hope I am. He's amazing. Y'all, you saw that pose at the end? Sorry, forgot this was the cons.

Verdict: Like last week I'm just going to say he's safe and speak it into existence. Did it work?

TRISTAN MCINTOSH
Pros: Her performances are getting a little stronger and if she can keep up the solid performances then maybe she has a shot at making it through another week.

Cons: She doesn't....really deserve it. Tristan is good at conveying emotion and she has a strong voice but how far will a strong voice take you if you don't know how to control it? Maybe if she waited a few years and went on The Voice she would be the serious competitor the judges seem to think she is.

Verdict: I don't know? America keeps saving her and this is all really starting to confuse me a little bit. I think she gave a very solid performance but she's just nowhere near the other contestants in terms of vocal ability and experience and it shows every time she performs.


FINAL PREDICTIONS:
Bottom Two (I assume that's how they're doing it?): Sonika & Tristan
Eliminated: Sonika (Based on what AMERICA showed us was on their mind last week, not because of how I feel at all)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...