Sunday, December 20, 2015

X Factor UK 2015 Highlights: Top 13 Most Entertaining Moments


Let me preface this by saying I'm not going to be doing one of these for The Voice US. I find the X Factor to be a much more interesting show. People like to complain about how fake and contrived it is, but that's kind of the reason I loved it so much. I distinctly remember watching X Factor USA when Rachel Crow (and Drew) got eliminated and the way it was over dramatized, on everyone's part was just so funny and interesting to me. Rachel Crow's reaction was probably genuine, but they way Nicole Scherzinger's eyes popped out like Courage the Cowardly Dog (when she had all of the power to send Marcus home), the way Marcus tried to hug Rachel but Steve (the host, lol, had to remind you!) all but threw him off of the stage. And my absolute favorite part of that season was when Drew got eliminated and almost angrily shouted out "JESUS LOVES ALL OF YOU." The X Factor is pure trashy entertainment, and I'm here for every single messy moment of it. In honor of our Top 13, I have here my top thirteen moments of this season (and one wild card).

13. YOU GOT ME FEELING EMOTIONS!
What's there to highlight about Simon Cowell, you ask? Clearly one of his most talked about moments of the season was when he started to tear up during Josh Daniel's rendition of "Jealous." It was an emotionally moving song, and performance, so Cheryl (and maybe even Rita) was bound to start crying but when Simon started crying, it was probably the most out of the blue thing he could have done. Simon's been known for putting his emotions aside and just crushing someones spirit with a simple look. To see him throw all of his emotions on display was kind of moving. If you ask me, it could have been a ploy to get ratings up because Cheryl's "I don't know what's happening with him" was so dramatic I just...lol. Another Simon moment that was absolutely hands down hilarious was when he found out he was getting the Overs and started cursing. So the entire category was jumping for joy and all of a sudden: 


me bc i can't stand simon most of the time tbh.
SHOCKING.
12. TOP 11 JUDGES BICKERING
I'm not sure if anyone, beside me, was hip to all of the mess going down on the judges panel this week but it was absolutely ridiculous the way they were acting and throwing shade at each other. Well, Rita yelled, Nick tried his best to shade Simon, and Cheryl flat out came straight for Nick and it was hilarious. It was the one time I didn't really like the revamped judges panel, there just seemed to be way too much bickering and less of a focus on the contestants (which my girl Cheryl firmly reminded them quite a few times). At one point, Cheryl gave Rita evil eyes that said "Bitch, if you don't pull your wig together..." I wrote an entire review on that one show HERE if you'd like to read it. But it was so unexpected and I personally got life from it. FUNNY.

11. REGGIE N BOLLIE
Reggie N Bollie were part of why I initially couldn't stand Cheryl. Series 11, I thought she was completely unfair with how she did her group at Judge's Houses and she sacrificed a lot of talent for what "looked better." So, not really caring about the group (because I thought that they were irrelevant and were no way making it to the Top 12), I wrote them off but when Cheryl called their name out I was really shocked! Honestly, I'm probably in the majority to say that I thought they were going to be the joke act of the season (we learned later on that was Anton, but more on him later), but they pleasantly surprised all of us! They could actually (kind of) sing and every time they performed you couldn't help but move in your seat. Granted, I think others deserved a spot in the finale more than them, but I wasn't absolutely mad. I was so shocked at their longevity and the fact that they were actually....good... PLEASANT SURPRISE.

10.  ALIEN UNCOVERED ELIMINATION
Honestly, how were they in the Bottom 2 at all after they gave a performance like this? They had so much energy, their harmonies were amazing and they looked absolutely amazing up on that stage. Granted, their weaknesses were highlighted during the sing off, but the fact that they gave such an amazing performance that landed them in the bottom was absolutely ridiculous because they had SO much potential. SHOCKING.

09. REVAMPED X FACTOR
I freaking loved this new judges panel and the new hosts, it was so great having something fresh on the show. I haven't been vocal about it, because he hasn't been mentioned all season, but I could not stand Louis Walsh. Sure, he's nice most of the time, but I just thought everything he said was ridiculously and hilariously irrelevant. "You're current, you're fun!" How many times could he say the same thing to almost all of the good acts last year? And the most annoying one was how he would relentlessly say week after week to Ben "you're the nicest guy here"....okay, how did he sound? I thought Nick was a major step up from him because he was actually really fun and proved to really know what he was doing with the contestants (not to say Louis didn't, he churned out some excellent acts last year). Rita was, most of the time, much better that Mel B. I think Mel was "real" but she was also "real bitchy" the way she would always just talk crap about other contestants just so she could say something. I remember out of nowhere when she accused Fleur of cheating and having the track louder than her microphone and everyone was just like "Bish, whuuu?" And the hosts were such a breath of fresh air. At times, Dermot just didn't work for me but Caroline and Olly had this fun little chemistry to them that I loved and Olly Murs is just so happy all the time that it was infectious. 

Well, usually.
PLEASANT SURPRISE. 

08. LAUREN MURRAY "SHOVES" MYLENE


In all honesty, Twitter blew this way out of proportion. Yes, it looks like Lauren lightly pushed her out of the way but clearly she didn't mean to throw her out into the audience and have them eat her up. They were in the middle of a live show and on camera, Lauren even looks like she's just saying "No, no, no, hug me later!" and Mylene is just like "Lol, true." 4th Impact has some viciously devoted fans, though, I'll give them that. FUNNY.


07. CHERYL FERNANDEZ-VERDINI
I absolutely couldn't stand Cheryl coming into this season. Last year, I just didn't really vibe with her. I thought her acts in the Live Shows were just there to entertain and look pretty because she got rid of some fantastic acts in Judges' House but this year she shut me up completely. During the whole "Top 11" incident, the whole time Cheryl was just looking at everyone like they were crazy and telling reminding them it was about the contestants and her face during Anton's performance was PRICELESS, and what we were all thinking. The biggest thing that got me on her side was seeing her as a mentor this year. The way she nurtured the girls of 4th Impact was so nice, mostly because she came from a group so she knew how to work with them amazingly and there were some amazing results. And I absolutely LOVED the way she interacted with the boys of Reggie N Bollie. She turned the "joke act" into the runner-up of this season and seeing her dance with them (on top of her just truly caring for them) was just the cherry on top of the Cheryl pie of this season. PLEASANT SURPRISE.

06. ALL ABOUT THAT BASS/BANG BANG
Same, Cheryl. Same.
From the vocals, to the choreography, to the production, to Cheryl's face at the end, this was probably the most entertaining performance of the season based on the fact that there was so much wrong with it, you just couldn't take your eyes off of it. Anton had so much potential that Simon had no idea how to tap into. I have no idea what happened, but as soon as he hit the live shows, Anton's vocals fell apart. The vocals were the main thing that made Anton stand out. He was quirky and over the top but he always managed to churn out emotional performance with amazing vocals and All About That Bass/Bang Bang will always be known as the beginning of the end for poor Anton. LMFAO.

05. LAUREN MURRAY & 4TH IMPACT SING OFF
I just remember thinking this week that Che and Reggie N Bollie were going to be in the bottom two because not only was this the week that Che forgot the words to the biggest song in the world, but Lauren stole the show the night before and 4th Impact turned me into fans of theirs the night before, so I have no idea why that happened but it resulted in the all time best sing off in X Factor history. Sure, there have been sprinkled amazing Sing-off performances before but not one where you had absolutely no idea how the vote was going to swing! Lauren Murray proved what powerhouse vocals she had that night and it was the first time I looked at her and saw an X Factor winner (clearly I was wrong...). The sing off was absolutely brilliant and I wouldn't have been mad (but also completely angry) if one or the other had gone home. DAMNNNNN.

04. MONICA, YOU ARE GOING HOME, I'M AFRAID.
I honestly died laughing when Olly made the mistake of telling Monica she was going home and you could hear Anton whisper under his breath "wait, what?" and Caroline's face was hilarious. So if you missed it, during the Top 7/6 Results, Monica and Anton were in the bottom two and Simon sent Monica home, so they took the vote to deadlock. Olly misheard or something and told Monica she was "going home." What maybe happened was Olly's mind was in the mud for a second and thought Simon was sending her home and it was a majority vote but who even knows at this point. There were so many screw ups (in the finale alone) that this didn't seem like that big of a deal. FUNNY.

03. HELLO SAYS GOODBYE TO CHE
Dude, this was so unexpected. I had absolutely no idea he was going to tank so far with this performance. When it was announced he was singing "Hello" by Adele, I immediately got giddy because I thought he was finally going to smash an contemporary song. He had been smashing everything previously but the week prior landed himself in the bottom two for whatever reason. Everything he had been doing up to this point was very dated old soulful songs. I was happy he was sounding amazing, but he sounded amazing for someone in 1973 and with this show you need to prove that you can be current and this was the perfect vehicle for him to prove that. Instead of smashing the song, the song smashed him. He managed to get out the first verse of the song before forgetting the lyrics almost entirely until the chorus kicked in. It wasn't enough to save the performance because he had no emotional connection to the song and he was flat for the majority of it, I guess because he was still so distracted by the fact he lost his way. There was a point where he begun to sing the lyrics "I've forgotten how it felt before the world fell at our feet," and I swore he gave up and was saying "I've forgotten all the words, now please try not to kill me." SHOCKING.

02. 4th IMPACT ELIMINATION
Let me be the first to say I didn't like 4th Impact to begin with. I thought they were extremely overrated and that their vocals weren't as tight as everyone kept bragging about. While I do agree that their vocals dramatically improved towards the end of their run on X Factor, I stand by my initial lukewarm reaction to them. That being said, their final few weeks on the show were killer and they did not deserve to go home, or even be in the bottom two that week. I remember I ranked them first for "I'll Be There" and either second or third for "Fancy/Rich Girl." 4th Impact and Lauren had amazing weeks, Louisa wasn't going anywhere, so I thought for sure we were going to have an all girl finale but I guess not. I'm not sure why the public didn't back them up in their final week but they went out on three incredibly high notes (like Almira's whistle register). I initially pegged them to be the winners because they had such an overwhelming outcry of support but I guess it was literally all coming from the Philippines and not just the Filipino community in the UK (because they are a proud people, and probably my favorite people, to be honest), among their other supporters. Gone too soon, but at least they didn't awkwardly fade into oblivion like Che.  WHAT?!

01. MASON DROPS THE BALL (AND HIS MIC)
The funniest part about this was the fact that everything Mason was saying was kind of true. Okay, let's start with some background information (although I don't think you'll need it because this story, and Simon's crying, were probably the two things that reminded you X Factor was still on due to the amount of coverage these two things received). Mason noised finished his performance and then told everyone to get their phones out because "they ain't gonna throw five thousand people out" because he decided to blast the show for editing his audition into 47 seconds, when others had up to ten minutes on their auditions, It's absolutely true, these singing competitions are biased to the biggest sob stories, but the fact that Mason pointed it out in such an annoying arrogant way in front of everyone just because he wanted to go viral was absolutely ridiculous. I liked Simon getting called on his bullshit, because the only thing he managed to get out was calling Mason an "arse hole", but Mason's way of doing it was way off and made him look like a complete idiot. BOI.

HONORABLE MENTIONS
Rita, girl, are you giving birth?
~Louisa's face when she won.
~Simon giving 4th Impact girls letters because he decided not memorize their names.
~Anton's outburst at Nick. "THIS IS ALL REAL."
~Bupsi's Auditon.
~Josh Daniel's Audition.
~Simon Lynch being Simon Lynch <3
~The rise and fall of Max Stone.
~The Boys' relationship with each other and Nick.
~Rita's Relationship with the Girls (Lol, just Louisa)
~Lauren Murray's rise as the dark horse.
~Rita snubs Olly.
~Simon calls Rita out for paying more attention to Louisa and Lauren, instead of Monica.


00. "What the bloody hell was that?" (PAPASIDERO'S WARDROBE MALFUNCTION)
He was not Titanium, unfortunately. Papasidero (it's okay if you don't remember him, I didn't remember him until I stumbled across it, which is why it's my "wild card" moment, haha). So, I'm not sure what he tried to accomplish but he claimed he would be telling his "story" through this exhibition. He started out just fine, it seemed as if it was going to be a very inspirational performance until he started stripping. He removed his wings, okay, then he pulls his sleeve up to reveal the words "loser" and "weird." Finally as he his the bridge he tries to undo his top...but he can't. So he spends the entire chorus half trying to pull his top off and half shrugging it off and playing around it so he doesn't look like he can't pull it off. I felt bad for him until he hit his extra sharp high note that probably doesn't even have a name (A, B, C, >no<.). At that point, Rita was flinching, Simon and Nick had no idea what was happening and Cheryl and the hosts were too busy cracking up that they didn't have to time to guess what was going on. SHOCKING FUNNY PLEASANT SURPRISE WHAT DAMN BOI LOLOL. Below (and up top with Olly) are just a few emotions I think we all shared with the judges as we probably watched this performance, excuse me, exhibition unfold before our eyes on TV.






ME.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...