Saturday, April 9, 2016

The Voice 10: Ranking the Top 20


Disclaimer: All these opinions are clearly subjective and I am in no way affiliated with The Voice or any other corporation. 

This review is based solely on watching The Knockouts from The Voice Season 10, maybe this wasn't their strongest performance so far, I was too lazy to watch The Blinds/Battles. They just take SO long to get to the live shows, and when they get to the live shows they have about five weeks to wrap the season up so you don't get to see much growth from the contestants. An overall review of The Top 20 (soon to be 24 with the comebacks, barf) is that I think it's going to be a girl's season. It's about time a girl wins, don't you think? The last female winner was Tessanne. It may not seem that long ago because Season 5 was only about two and a half years ago but The Voice puts out more seasons than Rihanna put out albums back in the day so it's been about five seasons of male winners (cough, white, male singers to be exact). On to the review(s)!

20. LACY MANDIGO (TEAM PHARRELL)
There's something in there Lacy wasn't quite able to pull it out with "Zombie".

19. CAITY PETERS (TEAM PHARRELL)
Lord have mercy, she's the best of every world. Her lower register is gorgeous, her upper register is breath taking and everything in the middle is like the cream inside of an oreo cookie. Of course in this case the cookie is just as good as the cream because...whatever, she's good, okay?

18. EMILY KEENER (TEAM PHARRELL)
Alright I thought she was okay until the final line of the song, that was hilarious (and in key!). She seems to me to be tailor made for this show in terms of her entire package so she's cute for now. I thought she was forgettable until that last little bit at the end but she has a nice voice.

17. LAITH AL-SAADI (TEAM ADAM)
Basically Santa with a dye job. This isn't going to make sense but there's something about him I really like. I just have no idea what it is. Maybe it's the grit in his voice, the originality in his performance? Unfortunately, everything about him screams underdog.

16. CAROLINE BURNS (TEAM ADAM)
Really beautiful sweet, soft voice that could put me to sleep. But in a good way. Well, maybe, because she's a little boring. That only positions her for an even greater growth arc throughout the season.

15. OWEN DANOFF (TEAM ADAM)
Very polished, crisp voice. I just hope he doesn't bore us and sound like he's doing an impersonation of A Great Big World every week.

14. MOUSHUMI (TEAM PHARRELL)
I really enjoyed her she has a nice little voice on her and she picked the perfect song.

13. JOE MAYE (TEAM BLAKE)
He by no means has a bad voice but I don't know, I just feel like his voice should be...so much better than what it is.

12. MARY SARAH (TEAM BLAKE(
Nice, she has some spunk.

11. KATIE BASDEN (TEAM BLAKE)
I liked it. Will I remember it in the morning is a different story.

10. BRIAN NJIRA (TEAM ADAM)
Really, really powerful voice. He waited until the second half to start showing off but when he did something amazing happened. 

09. RYAN QUINN (TEAM CHRISTINA)
Sweet baby Jesus, that voice?? It came out of nowhere but it can do me a cute favor and just stay. Aside from his voice, Ryan just seems a little awkward and stiff on stage. Maybe it's something he can learn to work on, and I hope he does. With that voice and some stage presence, and the fact that he's a decent looking guy (I DON'T CARE BUT AMERICA DOES, OK) he could go far.

08. KATA HAY (TEAM CHRISTINA)
I love the grove she has going with that guitar. She is slick and smooth when she's up on that stage and that voice is a killer.

07. PAXTON INGRAM (TEAM BLAKE)
Aside from the open clam on his head, I really like this guy. He has a unique voice and he knows how to use it really well. He's a wonderful story teller. His eyes staying shut virtually all of the performance didn't make it hard for me to connect to him at all. He picked the perfect song for his voice and his style.

06. BRYAN BAUTISTA (TEAM CHRISTINA)
He has a killer voice and knows how to use it. On the right song he could bag the whole season. I personally just didn't like his song choice. If he strips it back and does something that could focus on making his voice soar, I think I would probably go into some type of cardiac arrest.
05. ADAM WAKEFIELD (TEAM BLAKE)
Peace. And SOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUL. Enough said! That run at the end???

04. SHALYAH FEARING (TEAM ADAM)
The first half was alright but the minute she hit the pre-chorus I almost shat myself. There is so much pure and natural grit in her voice. Watching her performance gave me goosebumps. It kind of feels like she's the spiritual successor to Koryn Hawthorne. Chris that was good, I'm still in recovery. That's how you do a knock out!




03. ALISAN PORTER (TEAM CHRISTINA)
That glory note in the middle gave me everything I needed to get me through the rest of my week. Her vocal control is masterful and I love how she restrained from over singing most of the song even though we knew she could do that in her sleep.






02. TAMAR DAVIS (TEAM CHRISTINA)
Lol, so Yandy Smith?  Not only does Tamar have a crazy voice and a killer range but this performance has what a lot of the other ones lacked: emotion. It was seeping out of her. Plus, JESUS DID YOU HEAR THAT VOICE, MA'AM? Don't sleep on this queen, America!






01. HANNAH HUSTON (TEAM PHARRELL)
So is this just the season of the bad ass growlers?  We got Kata, Shalyah and now Hannah. The best part about when she performed "House of the Rising Sun" was her ability to keep my attention the entire performance. Where she differed from Shaylah was that she waited to start giving us a reason to care, Hannah was in top form from beginning to end and I couldn't get enough of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...