Friday, November 6, 2015

X Factor UK: Season 12 Overview





I honestly can't really put into words how I feel about this season of ITV/AXS TV's The X Factor. In previous season's I could say a lot about it but this season I'm not to sure about. This season has really just been trying to find it's voice so far and it hasn't quite found it yet. There are the two new hosts, Olly Murs and Caroline Flack. Olly Murs shocked me because I didn't really know how to feel about him initially when I heard he was going to be a presenter but the man's proved himself to be loads of fun and who doesn't smile when they see Olly Murs smile? Caroline Flack is to this season of the show what Mario Lopez was to the US version in the latter two seasons. We're used to her from the Xtra Factor, we already know what she's going to bring and she brings it on and her and Olly have this underrated chemistry that's very charming to the show.

I've also been very impressed with the judging panel this season. What's the first question that pops into everybody's mind when they hear the name Rita Ora? You guessed it: What the hell does she do? I've seen her acting, I've seen her singing, but no one really knows what Rita Ora is "known for". Rita Ora has been a pleasant surprise. She is a very genuine judge/mentor who seems like she really cares about, not just her category, but everyone else in the show. Not only does she know what she's talking about, being a successful artist in today's medium, but she brings a very fresh energy to the show we haven't seen in a while. She's young, fun and spunky and calls Simon out on his shit in a way Cheryl Cole never really could because Cheryl Cole doesn't know what she's talking about half the time. Nick Grimshaw. I never knew anything about Grimmie (yes, we're calling him Grimmie) before the show started. I'm from the US, he's a regular in the UK, so it shouldn't come as a surprise. In the audition and bootcamp rounds, Nick came off a little bit robotic. He didn't say much, he was a bit awkward at times but as soon as we got further in the competition we saw more of his personality, more of what he brought to the table and I think he's a wonderful coach. He, too, is very lovely with his category and as we moved onto the live shows we learned along the way that Nick's actually a fun guy? It shouldn't come as a shock to those who listen to him on the radio but he found a way to bring the spunk to the live shows and I really think he's gelled in well with the talent. And does anybody else melt the way he pronounces (good luck?) No? Just me? K. I'm not going to get too much into Cheryl and Simon because I have begun to care for them less and less and the years have gone by. I'll probably work a review of them later but right now I really don't care to.

If I'm going to be honest, I hated the new edition of the Judges House. It took away the intimacy of having the judges be able to deliver the good news to the contestants and getting a true, raw, emotion out of them. It's the same problem I have with the 6 chair challenge, it's just a way for them to up the stakes, make everything more dramatic and I just wasn't feeling it. Emotion is ingrained in the X Factor's DNA. Whether you are crying for a contestant, laughing with them or just getting your life while they're singing, The X Factor has always done a fabulous job telling the back stories of their contestants. When I read in an interview (I'm not sure if it was Simon Cowell, or not) that the reason they brought in the six chair challenge was because the audience was getting sick of these sob stories I had to do a double take. Really? The show thrives off of having you feel an emotional connection to a contestant, that's why you fall in love with them (aside from their talent. But does talent really matter on this show as long as you have a flashy performance? I'm looking at you: Stevie Ritchie). Back when the show was airing on FOX in the US, I preferred it to The Voice in terms of how they marketed their contestants. I can't think of more than 3 contestants on The Voice US that I really honestly cared about their back story and felt any real emotions towards them. I assume that's why Tessanne Chin was the only winner of The Voice that I cared about in the least bit (mostly because I stopped watching after Season 6). When you look at Josh Daniel's heart warming performance dedicated to his best friend that passed away, on YouTube it's garnered more than 25 million views and made Simon Cowell cry. Simon Cowell. Like, he cried bro. They can't just really on these dramatic moved because after a while they don't seem as intriguing as much as they look like new ways to crush the dreams of a young singer by putting them through a process where their emotions are completely dragged and stepped on like confetti.  That's just one reviewers perspective of course.

Anyways that's all folks, I look forward to reviewing the rest of this season with you all! First up: The top 13 live show!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...